Chapter 26

"So, what's up with you?" I asked Elijah as he drove us to church in his porche.

"Uh, I got me a nice house in Manhattan and I'm currently living there."

"Wow, that's great," I smiled.

"Yeah, but I'm lonely as hell because there's no one else there."

"Oh."

"It was built from scratch before we broke up. It was supposed to be our place, but after everything that is not even an option," he says and I silently agree with him.

"But my old apartment, how do you feel about moving in there?"

"You're back with this offering me stuff again?" I arch a brow.

He glared at me playfully and I chuckled.

"Well, I guess I really like it there and I would be comfortable staying there. But I have one condition, which is that I pay rent."

"Do you even have a job?" He asks.

I laughed slapping his bicep playfully.

"You're all muscly now."

"I've been working out," he answers.

"I see that but I do have a job though, at the cafe we used to meet at all the time across from campus."

"Good for you, but I already bought the apartment complex so there's no need for you to pay rent," he says.

"Okay," I sighed defeatedly.

The car fills with silence and I can't think of anything to say.

He clears his throat, "The place is big... you should probably get a roommate."

"Okay, I can easily convince Amanda to come with me," I answered excitedly.

"Why are you so excited?"

"Because I'm finally moving out of my and I quote 'sardine can'," I answered.

He laughed, "Thank God."

~

Isabella's eyes did a quick glance back when she saw me walk in with Elijah.

This caused a domino effect to happen among the family. The last person to see us was his father and he didn't look pleased.

We sat at the end of the bench beside his brothers.

"Back so soon Alyssa?" Franco joked.

"Franco..." Elijah said calmly in a warning tone.

Isabella gave me a warm smile seeming happy to see me again.

After church we went to Elijah's parents' house. I helped Isabella out in the kitchen again as she prepared the many scrumptious Italian dishes.

"I'm sorry about my outburst the last time I was here but I was upset that I was being lied to and upset at myself that I didn't realize earlier that he was different," I said to the family as we sat at the dining table.

"That's okay darling, I'm just happy that you're back, we haven't seen you in almost so long," Isabella said.

"I needed time for myself to process all of this."

Elijah looked up at me.

"Are you guys back together?"

"No, we're starting over as friends."

Franco snorted.

"I wanna learn more about him this time."

"Well I hope things work out this time," she says sincerely.