Review - 37

Author - solidarity_

Title: Breaking point.

I rather thought the title went well with what the story is about. With Saskia reaching her breaking point with the pranks after one went a little wrong, and Art reaching his breaking point of being treated as nothing more than her sworn enemy by Saskia. Apart from the title fitting well with the storyline I also really just liked it, it wasn’t one of those titles that basically gives you an entire outline of what the story is about, but still from it I could get a small feel of the plot of the story, so kudos on that.

Cover:

Okay first off you are one talented person because that cover for me was just beautiful. I liked the fact that it was simple yet really stood out, the colors that were in the cover were really eye catching and my favorite part was the link of thoughts above her head. It was very creative and something unique on my part, it was like I was given a little insight on the things that go through Saskia’s head.

Blurb:

There really is nothing much to say about your blurb because I didn’t see anything wrong with it. The first time I actually read it I found myself being very intrigued with your book, it gave me a little glimpse of your characters and what to expect from them and I also got a glimpse of your sense of humor as well, the no affiliation with Iron man line was by far my favorite of the whole piece. So, in conclusion great job in the blurb, it did its job of catching a reader’s attention perfectly.

Story:

Okay I’ll admit that I’m not a fan of the whole bullying somebody because I secretly love them storyline (I mean if you love then why try make their life a living hell), though I quite enjoyed the little twist you put in your story where the girl was not exactly a push over and would make the guy pay as well. The fact that the guy was mostly in the losing side than the girl was something that I found quite hilarious and I think put a nice twist to a common storyline.

I like the elements of humor that you tend to put into the story, Saskia has one hell of a sense of humor and that would end up making her POV’s quite interesting to read. Also, the whole thing with Tony buying adult magazines from her was something I also found hilarious, especially since they take them away from her father’s stash with her mother’s consent, it was a nice touch plus shone more light on the family’s relationship with one another.

Another thing that I enjoyed was the little things that you kind of hid into the chapters but help elevate the story. For instance, the contrast in your MCs family lives was a nice touch, the fact that that the father is the problem in Saskia’s family and that the mother is the problem in Art’s family. I also loved the way you’d put some words in italics to emphasize on them, I see that around a lot these days and I always feel like it tends to be a nice touch plus helps elevate the look of the chapter a whole lot more.

Other than that, though there were some things in your plot that I found kind of off. For instance, the fact that Art refused a football scholarship to a good collage just so as to continue bothering Saskia, I don’t know yet (for I only read five chapters) but I think if he doesn’t have a more valid reason as to why he actually refused the scholarship than I don’t know for me it makes it quite unbelievable. My parents would have tied me up and shipped me off to that college in an instant if I told them that, that’s why I’m also intrigued to find out what he told them too about the refusal.

Okay the plot aside there were something that I thought I should point out, though these are more like suggestions then things I found wrong. As I previously said your book was filled with a lot of humor which were quite enjoyable, but I felt like at times you’d break fourth wall so as to appease the said humor. Now this is purely subjective, but I feel like occasional fourth wall breaks can be a little too much at times.

E.g: Yes, I stalk Art in social media.

There were a lot of these during the chapters that I read, now as I said these can tend to be good once and a while for humorous reasons but then once repeated continuously they tend to take away from the novelty of a novel. Referring directly to the audience works well for movies and television shows but I believe in novels that it doesn’t work as good and makes the book come off as a little awkward, though that’s my POV as a reader and as you know us readers differ so as I said before this is just a suggestion from my part.

And with that I am done, I really hope that something up there will end up helping you in the long run. And I wish you the best in your future updates.

By - Epicadrenaline