the only one~ harvey dent

You were having the epitome of a shit day. Hands shaking, stomach queasy and eyes tearing up you entered the apartment you shared with your boyfriend Harvey. You had a job as a librarian not far away and it was usually a quiet job, that was why you wanted it. You had a bit of social anxiety. Just something you picked up in elementary school that grew with age. It started with fear of presentations and escalated, by late high school you had problems even making friends. The very thought of talking to people or even being in the same room as people made you weak in the knees and want to avoid any possible situation like the plague. You had met Harvey through your mother actually, she had a friend who used to bring you places. Usually reminiscing on your family (chosen and biological) made you smile, but you were so tired today. Mentally and physically exhausted.
This day, your boss had thought it was a brilliant idea to host a book sale and you had to awkwardly socialise with other people, ones who were either too confident or too awkward to make your job any easier. By the end of the first hour of your shift you wanted to cry. Luckily you managed to power through it on caffeine and willpower alone, leaving at the first signs of closing. That's why you were so happy that Harvey wasn't home when you got there. He wouldn't be home until much later, usually he would get caught up in a case and lost track of time.

The first thing you did when you entered the apartment was ditch the work clothes. You stripped your tight fitting skirt and blouse off, grabbed one of Harvey's black lazyday t-shirts from the end of the bed. You pulled it over your head, inhaled the deep smell of him. The relaxing scent; musk and an underlying note of cologne, it was welcoming. Finally you could relax, lying on the bed you tugged your headphones over your head, played your favourite album and let the tears pour from your eyes as you stared up at the ceiling. You let your sobs choke you until you couldn't breathe, hyperventilating and heart racing. The feelings you had been holding back overwhelmed you in a hurricane of tears and emotion. Fear, and just total exhaustion. By the end of this you simply felt jaded, falling asleep with tears still running down your cheeks.

Harvey came home around 11 o'clock, locked the door and followed the trail of discarded clothes to the bedroom. You were sprawled across the bed haphazardly, dried tears stained your cheeks and you clutched his pillow tightly to your chest as though it was a lifeline. He sighed and removed his tie, shrugged off his white shirt until he was only wearing his white tank top and pants. He proceeded to walk silently to the bed, sat on the edge, leaned over to remove your headphones and caress your body in a relaxing manner, sliding a hand from your shoulder down your hips, rubbing circles on the bone.

"______." Your name were said softly just loud enough to rouse you from sleep. You let out a mumbled complaint as you got up. Having the day off tomorrow you wanted to sleep the entire time.

"Rough day?" he asked concerned.

"Panic attack..." You mumbled and burrowed your face into the pillows. You always felt embarrassed when you had them. Incompetent. A useless excuse of a human being. Harvey had tried to convince you to visit a doctor once, the resulting argument hadn't been pleasant. You didn't want to have to be medicated or need therapy. You felt warm fingers cup your chin and tilt your face away from its burrowing place.

Your trembling lips met Harvey's in a chaste kiss. His warm mouth softly massaging your own as he laid next to you. He pulled you closer, his body warm like a furnace on a winter day. You welcomed him slowly, getting used to the loving attention. Pulling away carefully, he looked down at you with a cautious gaze in his brown eyes. He hovered over you, forehead pressed to yours. He held you protectively against his chest, whispering compliments as he always did on nights like this. Every time this would happen he would strive to convince you how amazing and important you were to him, to convince you that you weren't as useless as you believed you were.