Chapter 23: I Am Alive

"I would, unless you had already made up your mind." 

She gave him a crooked smile. "You are more like myself than I thought. I guess I should warn you: sleep with another girl one more time and you will lose your mate forever." 

He grinned. "Are you jealous?" 

She scoffed. "Of cour-" She stopped talking, sprinted and tackled a person who was hiding in the bushes.

"Chris?" Anna asked. "What are you doing here?" Anna got off him and helped him up. 

Caleb rushed to her side. "Care to explain, Chris?" 

"I was going for a run and heard some noise so I decided to check." 

Anna crossed her arms above her chest. "So you decided to hide your scent and keep listening to our private conversation." 

He shrugged. "I was just curious, sorry." 

Anna glared at him. 

"Go away!" said Caleb. 

Chris ran away before Anna could say anything else. 

She turned to face Caleb. "How much you think he heard?" she asked. 

"I have no idea. He is acting weird lately. I have to talk to him." 

Anna sighed and massaged her temples. "Be careful around him. I do not trust him." 

Caleb smiled. "He is just stubborn, but I will keep my eye on him if you say so." 

Anna took out her phone to check the time and noticed there was an incoming call. She picked up.

"Yes, Marcy?" Caleb stiffened beside Anna. 

"I have been calling you for a while. Caleb is with you right? We were supposed to have dinner together but he never showed up."

"Yes, he is right here. We were talking. Sorry." 

Marcy giggled. "Oh, you were talking. That is good. Take your time; Just tell him to come back once you are done talking. Bye." She hung up.

"You should go back home." Anna put her phone back in her pocket and began walking back to the pack house. "Isn't it weird that she seems to want us to spend time together?" asked Anna. 

Caleb shrugged. "She always does weird things. Rumor has it that she was called the pack witch before she became the Luna." 

Anna stopped walking and touched her chin with one hand. "I have been meaning to ask: your mother is an Alpha's daughter as well, right?" 

Caleb nodded. "My mother's twin brother was the Alpha of this pack, but he and Samuel's father were killed in a Rogue attack soon after he took over. My uncle had not found his mate and had not children. The third in command was supposed to take over, but he too died under mysterious circumstances." 

Anna kept walking. "That is so sad. I am glad I asked you and not Marcy or Samuel. It seems like a sensitive issue."

They reached her car. "Do you need a lift?" Anna asked. 

He beamed at her. "You came to spend the night in the pack house didn't you?" 

She nodded. 

He sighed. "I do not want to bother you and my house is really close. If I say yes, it would be only an excuse to spend a couple more of minutes together." 

Anna played with her car keys. "So?" She giggled. 

"So, yes. Wait a moment." He got his backpack from the porch and walked around the car to the passenger side.