Chapter 25: Feelings

Anna  and Caleb were enjoying breakfast together. Caleb kept talking seemingly about everything that came to his mind. Anna had never been a fan of small talk. That was the main reason she rarely called people back home. 

Unless there is a reason for talking, she usually found herself in awkward silence. However, this was never the case with Caleb. If she did not have much to say about something, he would just find some other topic to talk about. Nonetheless, after trying talking to her about sports, history and world news he seemed to be running out of ideas. 

The problem was that it did not matter how much she talked, it was as if nothing was enough for him. Anna got excited when he talked about his training, but she looked around and held herself back even though only the waitresses were around. I am not supposed to reveal my pack and position in front of everyone. 

"Mmm... So you play video games, right?" he asked. 

"I am only good at some fighting games. I had to train to beat my arrogant brother and his friends." 

Caleb chuckled. "So, what does your brother do?" 

She averted her gaze. "I will tell you later. Okay?" 

Caleb nodded. The conversation was dying out again. 

"So which one is your favorite fighting video game?" asked Caleb.

Anna tried to think about one of them but everything that came to her mind was the mental image of her losing against Matt while Caleb kissed and touched another girl right beside her. Her stomach revolted; She lost her appetite and felt like crying again. Her hands rested on the table and she stared at her water, focusing on happy puppies to prevent any more tears from spilling. 

Caleb seemingly noticed her sad expression and cupped her hand. "Hey, Anna. Did something happen?" 

She instinctively shoved his hand away and glared at him. His face reflected his shock. A whimper escaped from him and he quickly cleared his throat to dissimulate. She rested her elbow on the table, her eyes downcast, as she covered her face. 

Anna shook her head. "I am sorry, Caleb." 

He nodded and his eyes focused on his food. He ate in silence as Anna played with her food. 

"I will come back soon." Anna walked to the cashier and paid for their meals. Then, she went to the restroom; She found herself sitting on the toilet crying. 

College all over again. A giggle escaped her as she remembered that one time she was alone in the restroom crying and an small Earthquake happened. It was like the Earth was being empathetic with her misery. 

The taste of blood made her realize that she had bitten her lip too hard again. A barely noticeable drop of blood fell on her skirt; It was too small to leave a stain. She threw some water on her face, retouched her makeup and practiced her smile a couple of times wincing from the pain.

Anna was waiting for the deep bite mark on her lip to completely heal but his smell hit her. It was Xander, and he was right beside Caleb. The bleeding had just stopped. She left the restroom and walked to her table, where she found Xander chatting casually with a frowning Caleb. 

Xander waved at her and stood up as she reached the table. He kissed her cheek and hugged her. She patted his back awkwardly. When he let her go, Anna sat back on the booth and Xander sat next to her. A waiter brought his food.

Caleb focused on eating. 

"I missed you so much yesterday. You go on a kiss me and then leave."