Book 2: It's a Hard Knock Life

Fun Fact: Originally, Caleb was supposed to reject Anna as soon as he found out that she was his mate (because the age-gap was larger). No-cringy romance would happen. She would go back to her pack and get herself together. When he grew up and realized his mistake, he would go to her pack to get her back.

I felt bad for them and this happened.

Now that I think about it, this path seems even crueler. Moving on!

Chapter 57: Poise

~*~*~*~

To love you I need a reason and it's hard to believe that it doesn't exist any other reason but this love. There is a lot left over inside this heart. To think that they say wisdom comes with age. However, pain is still felt because all the time I spent near you left its thread, woven in me.

I learned the significance of a rose. You taught me how to tell white lies, so I could see you at improper hours, and to replace words with gazes. And, it was because of you that I wrote more than one hundred songs. I even forgave your mistakes.

  ~*~*~*~ 

Anna

I was leaning against my brother in our flight back home, my heavy eyelids fluttering close and open as I fell asleep. Alex had accepted Matt's request to join our pack; We had passed by his house to get some of his things, and Alex surprised everyone by extending the invitation to his whole family.

Kathe and Matt's parents had been in tears. They had said that they were going to get ready to leave within the week. Matt had insisted on coming with us today, saying that he was tired of not being listened to by his friends. Apparently, he had tried to convince Caleb to listen to me and to not trust Chris but it was difficult since Chris had not left Caleb's side since last Sunday.

The slightly loud voices of the boys made my eyes flicker completely open. I stirred in my seat, smiling at the fact that Aiden and Matt were getting along. However, my brother did not take my being kept awake very well and he glared at them, causing the guys swallow hard and go quiet.

I smacked Alex's chest. "It is only a two-hour flight anyway. Let them talk."

The three of them stared at me with raised eyebrows and mouths wide open. Oh, right. After talking to Matt when he got in the car, I hadn't said a word. It just took all of me to stop my tears from falling. 

Besides sobbing slightly during the ride to the airport, I had held myself with a lot of poise and dignity.

"Drink some water. You need it since you have been crying a lot." My brother as he offered me a water bottle.

I nodded and gulped down the water. It seems that wailing and sobbing loudly are not what regular people would call hold yourself with poise and dignity. By the time we had reached the airport, my eyes were all red and puffy, and my nose was running with the same intensity as my tears. It must not have been a pretty sight. 

Convincing the authorities in the airport that I was suffering a very bad case of heartbreak and not being coerced into this was an extraordinary feat. In the end, they believed me when I began crying and begging them to leave me alone and to allow me to get on the plane. I also had cried because when I went to the restroom there was a line. I am a hot mess right now - "hot" being the operative word.

***

When we arrived at the city and walked out of the airport, instead of a taxi or a car waiting for us, freaking Alex had an ambulance ready. He is going all out with the worried big brother show.

"It is not a show Anna. I am worried sick about you," said Alex.

"Oops. Did I say that out loud?" I laughed.

"Yes, you did. Now get in the ambulance. Aiden will go with you to get checked as well, while I and the other boy take the car."

"His name is Matt." I corrected. Alex sucks at remembering names. I would know, it took him almost three months to stop calling me rogue girlie when we first met.

"Yeah, yeah. Get in," Alex commanded.

***

It had been three hours since I was admitted to the hospital and I could feel Larentia coming back. I was already writhing in pain in the hospital bed. The healing process was starting again. The doctors had ordered to not administer me any drugs because they could affect the process. 

A loud scream echoed through the room. Oh wait, that was me. I had my jaw clenched and involuntary tears were rolling down my cheeks. Alex was patting my head and whispering comforting bullshit like "everything is going to be alright, you are strong, just a little more."

"I am dying over here, not giving birth! Shut the fuck up. This is awkward!" I yelled.

He went quiet and his face blanched. "Is giving birth that painful?" he asked.

I was panting and still squirming. "How do you expect me to know?" I groaned and hissed. "But they say it is."

He visibly winced. "Oh..." he said.

"Why the inter- Give me the tray!" I could feel the vomit burning my throat.

He quickly passed me the aluminum tray and I proceeded to puke my guts out - quite, literally; Everything that was coming out was blood.

"Should I call the exorcist?" asked Alex probably thinking he is soo funny.

I glared at him. Why did I even allow him to be here? He was the only person allowed in my room; I did not want anyone else to see me like this.

'Anna?' 

My eyes filled with tears when I heard the weak voice in my mind. Another wave of nausea came with it. Thankfully, Alex had made himself useful and changed the blood filled tray for a bucket. 

'Larentia. I missed you so much.'

I was only answered with whimpers. 'I am sorry our mate did that. Please forgive me for this pain. I will heal you,' were the only things she said before going to the back of my mind.

The vomiting stopped but the pain intensified. So, this is the infamous rejection pain?  It felt as if my bones were being drilled from the inside. I stopped squirming and tried to not move even a finger. I had to take short shallow breaths because it felt as if needles were digging in my heart and lungs, and about every other part of my body.

I was falling in and out of slumber while Alex freaked out telling me to not follow the light. Really? Am I looking that bad? A small painful smile tugged at my lips. I wanted to tell him to shut up again, but I was too short of breath for that. Finally, I doctor walked into the room and told him to calm down and leave me alone.

And that was how my week in the hospital started.

A/N: Next chapter will be from Caleb's POV. Does everyone still hate him?