Chapter 72: Diary

Caleb

July 14,

It had been 209 days since the last time I saw my mate. Since the day I found out what had happened to her, the only things I did were thinking about her, training and studying – in that order. My reputation as future Alpha of the pack had sunk after what happened in my birthday party and then in the Alphas meeting. However,  I have been closely working to my father,  attending to all his meetings, and basically acting like the perfect son and Alpha-to-be, therefore, slowly winning the esteem of other Alphas back.

'That is enough for today. Let's go back,' my father said bringing me back to reality.

We ran back to the Alpha House. I was exhausted. We had been training for six hours, first human fight training and then wolf resistance training. I took a shower, put on some casual clothes and went to the library.

I was reading the third volume of 'Werewolf Legends and Facts' when Samuel stepped in.

"Hey, are you busy now?" he asked as he sat next to me.

"Not really. I finished my training for today," I said as I lowered the book to take a quick look at him. He had felt almost as shitty as me when he found out what had happened to Anna.

Thankfully, having those pictures the kid had showed me during the meeting was declared illegal by the Werewolf Council. There was no way they would know who had them, but Anthony Maddox himself had issued the order, so I am sure they had all gotten rid of them. Good.

Samuel snapped his fingers in front of my face. "Hey! Do you want to play videogames?"

"I am fine here. Maybe later. Thank you," I went back to the book.

He sighed dramatically. "You need to rest. I can't remember the last time you did something for fun."

"I..." I trailed off. I want to stay reading, but Samuel is making puppy dog eyes. "I guess we can play for a while."

He squealed and jumped before pulling me toward the door. That looked so... I do not even know.

"We are going to another meeting with my father the day after tomorrow, by the way," I said.

He groaned. "I feel so overworked already."

By the time Samuel and I finished playing videogames, it was 9:45 PM. I was sleepy already. I had been waking up at 5:00 AM every day. Nonetheless, I sat by desk and opened my diary. I had to do the most important activity of the day.

I write every day in my diary every day. Sometimes I write about my day, and sometimes about how I feel. It had started as a coping mechanism, so I did not go insane. It quickly turned into a need. I had not been able to talk to her for so long, so I had been writing as if I was having a conversation with her.

July 14,

Today was another wonderful and happy day here in the middle of nowhere. Who am I kidding? I have not had a happy moment since I saw your smile for the last time. As always, I spent most of the day training and reading – Not at the same time, obviously. I also played videogames with Samuel for the first time this year. I was not the best player before, but now I feel ashamed of how bad I am. In two days, I will be traveling with my father to another pack for work.

Every day is basically the same now. At least my father is happy that he does not have to apologize for my behavior anymore. I think that I am better now. But, you have not come back to me. When are you coming back? I have tried to find you. I wanted to go to your pack to ask more about what happened to you and to directly ask for you. But, I am not allowed in there until I become an "Alpha worthy or you" – your father's words. I get the impression that he does not like me very much. He never said you were dead, though, so I hope that somehow, somewhere you are alive and well...

***

Two days later

After excusing myself to the Alpha of the Lunar Sky Pack, I made my way to the room that they had, so kindly, given me for my stay in there.

'Son, I am deeply sorry. Talk to me,' my father said through the mind link as he knocked on my door.

I opened the door and let him in, not tearing my glare away from him.

'I thought I was making you a favor. You have been so crushed these months. You haven't smile even once.' He kept using the mind link, probably to prevent the owners of the house from hearing this about-to-not-be-nice conversation.

I decided that it did not matter what, I was not going to stain our pack's reputation. 'If it was because of me, you would have consulted me. You shouldn't have set me up with the daughter of another Alpha.'

'I am sorry but you know-'

'Nothing. I have a mate, whom I love. I do not want to get close to any other girl. What would have happened if that girl wasn't Samuel's mate? If you want me to stay in my best behavior, you better not pull another one like this one.'

My father stared at me in shock. I had never disrespected him this much before, but he deserved it. Alpha or not, he is not the Moon Goddess to decide who I am going to spend the rest of my life with.

He was gritting his teeth and his nose flared up. Oh, now he is the one angry? I crossed my arms and narrowed my eyes at him. He kept opening and closing his hands, looking angrier and angrier at the second. Finally, he turned around and left, slamming the close behind him.

I sighed and sat on the bed, running my hands through my hair as I thought. Since the rumors of my rejecting my mate had extended around the pack and neighboring packs, and my reputation as future Alpha had improved, power hungry bitches had been throwing themselves at me - quite literally. Now, my own father is playing matchmaker, just what I needed.

It did not matter how much I denied having rejected my mate; The two weeks I had spent in the pack hospital and my evident sadness did not help my case. Even Betas and some Alphas of other packs had approached me and my father. I was furious at the situation, but there was bright side to all this: Samuel found his mate, and she seems like a nice girl. It looks like he learned from my stupidity because as soon as he saw her, he claimed her and they are in her room right now. Good for him.