Chapter 62: The One

"What are you doing here anyway?" I asked.

"I came to drop off some gifts for your parents," Oliver said.

"Just leave them by the door and go on your way."

"Anna..."

"Oliver..."

"How are you?" he asked.

I sighed heavily. I should have left or have called my parents to let them handle him. I should have stopped talking to him. There are so many things I should have done, but I didn't. I answered him. "My health has not been the best one lately but it is okay now."

"I know you have your own family doctor, but you can drop by my family's clinic if you want to. I will give you a discount."

"You would charge me!?" I asked raising my voice in fake shock.

He laughed; That laugh that I loved so much and that I thought I would never hear again. "Of course, I would never charge you. You would always be my favorite patient. I heard you got your first job, and as a Math teacher. How was that?"

"It was not bad, considering that I only studied Math to spend more time with Elena."

"Who does that anyway?" he asked.

"I do!"

He stayed silent, but I could still hear his irregular breathing. Is he sobbing?

"Oliver? You still there?"

"Yes..." His voice sounded strained and I heard him sniffling quietly.

"Are you okay?"

He inhaled deeply. "I have not been okay in a long while."

"I am sorry," I said softly.

"No, I am sorry. I shouldn't have left if I did not know how to live without you," he whispered.

"Oliver..."

"Which book are you reading right now?" he said in a fake cheerful tone.

I decided to play along. "I have not been able to read in a while."

"I have some books that you would love. I actually made a list."

"A list?" He made a list of books for me?

"Yes. I saved each book that I read over the years and that I knew you would enjoy. It is a quite long list now."

"Why would you do that?" I asked, surprised that he would even think about me.

"It made me feel closer to you."

This is getting awkward. I decided to change the topic. "I see. I heard the drummer of your favorite band died. My condolences."

"Shhh... I swear I am still recovering," he said dramatically.

I laughed. "Okay okay. He lives in your heart now."

"He does. Mmm... Anna could you open the door? It is a tiny bit cold over here."

"Nope."

"Pretty, please?"

I opened the door and he instantly pulled me into a tight hug.

"You are cold! And my personal space! I need my personal space."

He pulled away. "You hate personal space."

"No, I do not! You are an exception!"

"Oh, am I?" He gave me a wide smile.

"I meant were." I looked at my feet, not being able to keep my gaze on him. The last time I saw him we were in love.

He picked up two medium sized boxes from the floor and gave them to me. "Wish your parents a late Merry Christmas." He pulled a small box from his pocket. "I did not know that you were here, but I was hoping this would reach you somehow."

I knew he was not lying. He never lies to me. I held the two larger gifts in one arm and took the small box in my free hand. I noticed he was wearing the bracelets I had given him so many years ago. "Thank you," I mumbled keeping my eyes on his wrist.

He put his hand up and shook it a little. "My favorite," he said smiling mischievously.

I looked up at his sparkling hazel eyes through his glasses. He was smiling warmly at me. His wavy hair was little longer at the top but still perfectly styled. He had grown facial hair, which made him look older than twenty-four, but still charming as ever.

He leaned down to me keeping eye contact and kissed my cheek. "I know you are not okay. You look sad and it is not because of me. It seems that you love someone else now. I will not take advantage of that, but if you ever need your real best friend again, I am always one call away." He slipped his business card in my pocket. "I love you Annita. You will always be the one for me, even if you are not mine." He waved at me and left.

My eyes were fixed on his back as he walked to his car. We have such a long story together. We had been best friends since I was twelve. We began dating when I was fifteen. He was my first serious relationship, my first kiss, my first love, my first time; and I was his as well, all of that. There was a time when I thought he was my mate. Everything was perfect by his side. That is why I did not care about finding my mate for so long. I was in love.

He turned around one more time before getting into his car. There were tears rolling down his face.

What is this pain in my chest? I already got over him. I had to. But, I still wanted to go after him to ask him if red is still his favorite color, if he still preferred dogs over cats, if he still loved to make coffee, if pulp fiction was still his favorite movie or if he had found one that he liked more, and so many other things. However, my body would not move and my mouth would not open. It was like no matter what, everything in me knew he was not the one for me.

Soon, the car was getting smaller and smaller at the distance. I got into the house and closed the door with my right foot.

"You can come out now!" I said loudly.

My whole family came out from their hiding place. I gave my parents their presents.

"Sorry, Aiden. No present for you," I said.

He rubbed the back of his neck. "Actually... Oliver dropped by the Alpha house yesterday while you were out with Alex greeting pack members. He left presents for everyone but we refused to accept your present."

I had spent the whole Christmas day dropping by pack members' houses to wish them happy holidays. Elena was not feeling well enough to spend the whole day standing up and smiling. I wasn't either but I have been trying to keep myself busy, to live the present. I had to remove all sharp objects from my room. Whenever I am alone, when I do not have to act as if I am okay, I am afraid I might act on those thoughts that cross my mind.

I stared at him judging him silently.

"Nobody told him you were here!" Aiden raised his hands and put them in front of his chest.

"Then why didn't I smell him when I got home," I asked.

"Elena burned incense and feebrezed the whole house even though he had not walked in."

"So, that was what that was about. Thanks for letting me know."

"Elena said that you kind of went off on her last time she talked about Oliver, and that you had enough to think about as it is," Aiden said.