Chapter 55: Anna

Anna

The temperature had dropped. Today was unusually sharp even though only some clouds blocked part of the tickling sunrays. My jaw trembled and my knees were weak. I was finally in front of Caleb's house. He usually was at the pack house on Sundays, but for some reason, this was the place that called my name. 

I had a knot in the pit of my stomach and my hands were numb, more than the rest of my body anyway. It was as if I could pass out at any second. But, that did not make sense. That medicine had supposedly healed me, right? There wasn't even a scratch or a bruise remaining. 

The quietness was unnerving. Just the faint sound of TV and some rebellious birds could be heard. To be honest, everything in me was telling me to run away. Like I wasn't supposed to be here.

I could use some support from my family. However, I had stubbornly sent them away to my apartment because "my mate and I will need some time alone and I do not want to make you wait." Stupid, stupid. I needed someone to push me or to knock on the door for me or to carry me away.

The nervousness was taking over me. My heart was pounding faster and faster. I rested a hand on my chest and tried to take deep breaths. However, my breathing came short and fast. I wasn't calming down anytime soon. When my chest began hurting and my throat felt as if it had closed completely, instead of following my gut and running away as fast as possible, I knocked on the door and rung the bell. 

I started pacing while trying to breathe. "No. I cannot do this. Something is not right. I will leave and come back later. Yes, I will run to my house. Sounds like  a pl--"

"Anna?" 

I turned around to see a wide-eyed Matt. Shit. I had been just about to run away.

"Hey, Matt. Is Caleb home?" I asked trying to sound casual.

Matt nodded. "Yes. He--"

"You come here reeking to that other guy. The nerve." Chris leaned against the door beside Matt. 

I should have left. In my desperation to see my mate, I had completely overlooked the fact that I stink to Alexander. One full week living in that bastard's room, sleeping on his bed and wearing the stinky clothes he gave me polluted me. Chris' words wouldn't get to me, though. Everything would be fine once I explain Caleb what happened.

I growled at him. "Shut up. Traitor. I will deal with you later."

He laughed derisively. "Good luck with that," he said as he walked out of the house. "I have a few important things to do now anyway," he whispered as he brushed past me. 

It took all of me to not pick up a fight with him. Later. I was here to talk to my mate. Everything else could wait, even vengeance. 

"I'll take you to him," Matt said. He turned around and guided the way.

I followed him into the house. Matt led me to the gaming room. My eyes immediately landed on Caleb who was playing some game with Samuel. Samuel looked at me, scrunched his nose and stood up. I should have left when I could. 

He walked out of the room without saying a word. Matt followed him right behind. There went my "allies."

"Are you really leaving? We were in the middle of a round," said Caleb. 

His eyes fell on me and for a second the deepest hurt flashed through them. He flexed his jaw and slightly narrowed his eyes. A crack started in my heart at the uttermost disgust he had directed to me.

He hid his anger behind a poker face. He turned the TV off but kept looking at it, refusing to meet my gaze again. This wasn't what I had expected.