Chapter 84: Dinner Talk

Anna

As soon as we walked into the dining hall all eyes fell on me. I don't smell like a member of any pack, nor do I smell like a rogue. Or maybe, the rumors of the extremely attractive partner of council member Maddox reached them. Caleb keep walking to an empty table seemingly oblivious and I walked by his side ignoring the confused looks. I glanced at Anthony who was sitting by a big table in the middle of the room with Kevin, Tobias and other important Alphas and their mates. He winked at me and gave me thumbs up. I rolled my eyes and looked to the front.

"Your friend?" Caleb pulled out a chair for me. So, he did notice.

I thanked him and sat down. He sat across me.

"My friend and partner, actually."

His eyebrows shot up and he opened his mouth. Then, he looked away. "I see."

Why does he look so shocked? Wait. Is he so dense? "As in my work partner. Council members work in pairs."

He turned to look at me and beamed. "I have heard about council member Amores-Lobo." He rubbed the back of his neck. "I, actually, tried to visit the packs where you have been staying at but I seemed to always be a step behind." He chuckled nervously. "Why are you using your two last names, though?"

"Lobo is my biological father's last name. It is one of the few things that I have from him."

"I understand." His expression went serious. "Anna, there are so many things that I want to tell you and ask you."

I nodded. "I agree, but this is not the place or time."

"What about-"

Harper, one of the omegas gave me a side hug. "Anna! You are here. Are you staying longer this time?"

I smiled and awkwardly patted her arm with one hand. People seem to love hugging me even though I still cannot get used to it.

"I am not sure. It depends on how things play off."

She straightened up and pulled out a notepad. "Rice or potatoes? Beef or chicken?"

What to choose... What to choose. "I will have potatoes and chicken." I didn't feel like having rice for dinner today.

"I'll have the same." Caleb smiled and Harper practically melted right there.

I held a growl back. Almost no one knows that we are mates. Besides, I told everyone that I was in the path of becoming a nun. I had to keep unmated werewolves at bay somehow. Thanks to the rumors, everyone knows that I was rejected. They really have nothing better to talk about.

After thirty seconds Harper was still frozen in there staring at my mate. I snapped my fingers. "Wake up and do your job!" I wasn't using my Alpha voice but my tone was severe and dominant. She jumped and whimpered.

"I want water with my food." I gave her a small smile and she seemed to relax just a tiny bit. What? She was ogling my mate. I am not apologizing.

"Same" Caleb took my right hand in his and kissed my knuckles.

Realization flashed across Harper's face and she scrambled away as fast as she could. I rolled my eyes and looked at Caleb only to find a smug smile on his face.

"You shut up." I pulled my hand away.

He shrugged, still smirking like a cliché bad-boy. "I haven't said anything."

"You thought about it."

He flashed me a lopsided grin.

My eyes moved slowly over his face, tasting every feature. He had shaved, which made him look younger now but still older than the last time I had seen him. His hair was still short on the sides but longer on the top and meticulously styled back, still it looked somehow messy. His eyes, brilliant as blue fire, were looking back at me with the same intensity but his pinkish cheeks betrayed him.