Chapter 30: Chickens

A/N: For this chapter remember that Caleb is resting his head on her lap. I myself forgot when I began writing. 

Also, unedited version. Do point out grammar mistakes and such.

"Yes, you are. Let me tell you a secret, then."

Caleb nodded and kissed the back of her hand.

Anna stared to the waterfall and talked in an emotionless voice. "My parents were killed right in front of me when I was one year old."

Caleb gasped and caressed her cheek. "Anna that is so horrible. I am sorry."

"Do not apologize. You were not the one who killed them. Some people do know what I just told you. However, everyone assumes that since I was so young my only memories are the stories told by my adoptive parents, but I have nightmares about that day almost three times per week."

Caleb stared at her with alarmed eyes. "So you remember?"

Anna nodded, a lone tear running down her cheek. Her lower lip was trembling. She gulped trying to ease the knot in her throat.  "That is the secret."

Caleb wiped the tear off and took her hand to his mouth placing a kiss on each of her knuckles. "Could you recognize the faces of the killers?" he asked.

"No. Their faces always look blurry in my dreams," she whispered lowering her face.

She hated those dreams because they never allowed her find out what she wanted to know the most. It was like their only purpose was to torture her.

Caleb put his arms around her waist and she mindlessly ran her hands through his hair.

She sniffled a couple of times and cleared her throat trying to talk in her usual tone. "Can I tell you the dream?"

"Of course, Anna, but only if you want to." Caleb stared at her as she shifted her gaze to the waterfall once again. However, it seemed like it was not the water what had caught her attention; She looked lost in a painful memory.

Anna took a few deep breaths and began talking, her voice cracking ever so often. "My dream begins with my mom reading a book in Spanish to me. Two men barge into our apartment through the front door. My mom takes me in her arms and jumps out of the window even though we are in the third floor. She keeps running and running. My father appears and faces the two men, but a third man stops us, pointing a gun at us. He says that the gun has silver bullets. My dad had already killed one of the men but he stops fighting when he sees us. The two men make us walk to an alley. There..." 

Hot tears began pouring from her eyes. She felt her heart clench. Caleb's eyes watered as he saw the pained expression on his mate's face.

"There, they kill my parents. Sometimes I have the complete dream, but most of the time it is just a loop of how they were killed."

Caleb sat up and pulled Anna into a hug. Her legs rested on top of  his right leg and her back against his left leg. She started sobbing and sniffling against his chest. The mental image of her recurrent dreams tormented her, but she felt how his touch slowly calmed her down. Caleb rested his cheek on top of her head.

"I am sorry I had to spoil the mood," she whispered.

He snickered. He found it funny how she could care about something like that when she was obviously hurting. "I care more about you than about the mood. I am actually happy you told me that. Thank you for trusting me."

"Thanks for being here for me." 

Anna never revealed too many details about her past unless it was necessary, but to him, she felt like she could tell everything down to the last bits.