Chapter 56: No

~*~*~*

When do you give up? 

~When the one you loved the most fails you? 

~When your own body fails you?

~When fate betrays you?

When is enough?

  ~*~*~*  

The doctor walked into the room looking alarmed. "I need all the family members to sit down for this."

Alex and Aiden complied; The doctor took off his glasses and rubbed his temples.

"To be honest, this nothing like I have ever seen before. The damage to your internal organs is horrifying. There is a lot of blood accumulated in your abdominal cavity and many of your organs seem to have suffered severe lacerations in the past. For some still unknown reason, the internal bleeding has stopped on its own. But, the organs are extremely scared to the point that it is doubtful that they are able to function normally anymore. Moreover, your complete blood count does not good either. In fact, you are anemic right now."

I stared at him in silence from the hospital bed. I had spent the last four hours been subjected to all kinds of tests. It seems that the beatings took more of a toll on me than I had guessed. At least they had given me some strong analgesics that made things more tolerable.

Usually, pack doctors considered the werewolf healing rates for their treatments. Something that the shots had inhibited in me at the moment. So, I had decided to come to a human hospital.

My brother ran a hand through his hair. "What can you do about it? Does she need surgery? Blood transfusions?" he asked.

"I am afraid you are not understanding the severity of the situation," the doctor said in an eerily calm but still professional tone.

"What?" asked Alex.

"With these results, she shouldn't be alive. We cannot understand how she is awake and lucid now. Perhaps, its a miracle for the family? If we were to treat her, we would need to start by finding compatible blood, which we do not have. Not even you two, her family members, share her blood type. She must suffer some blood disorder or genetic mutation. If we did find someone compatible, she would still need several organ transplants; I do not believe that there is ever going to be a matching donor for her. I suggest you go home spend time together and pray for the best." The doctor shot me a pitying look. "I am deeply sorry miss. I will prescribe you some analgesics that will make the process more bearable."

The doctor left the room. Process? Is he implying that I am dying? Great, now even the doctor gave up on me.

"What now?" asked Alex as he paced across the room.

"We should think about this calmly. Once her body clears off the wolfsbane, she will be able to completely heal herself," said Aiden.

That is right, once I get Larentia back, I will be able to heal in a couple of days. However, there is still another detail to consider... I do not want to think about it.

"I am guessing this happened because that asshole injected me wolfsbane before the healing process was complete," I said. "I just need rest."

"We are leaving to our pack. Our doctors are the best in werewolf medicine in the world. We are not taking any risks. I cannot lose my little sister."

My heart clenched at his words. In the heat of the moment, I had managed to push the rejection to the back of my mind; Nonetheless, that was only possible because deep down I was hoping that if I stayed here, we would be able to patch things up. If I leave, I do not know when I will be able to come back, or if I am going to be able to come back at all. My brother was not mentioning it but I know he was furious at Caleb for rejecting me. I do not think he would allow me to come back here.

"Anna, dress up. We are leaving on the next plane!" 

Tears flooded my eyes. "My mate..." was everything I managed to say.

Alex's eyes softened and he hugged me not too tightly. "Anna, we have to think about your health first. It is true that once your wolf comes back the healing process will start again, but at the same time you will be feeling the... rejection pains." He whispered that last part.

The pain of being rejected is so intense that many weak werewolves die just because of it. It takes great determination and will to survive to get over a rejection. Two things I do not have at the moment. Even if I checked myself into the hospital of the Wild Moon Pack, they would not have the resources to help me. Their medical knowledge is not as advanced as my pack's. That was one of the things that my brother was going to propose to improve if I became Luna of this pack. 

"Anna, stop zoning out. I brought you clean clothes. Dress up. We are leaving. We will send someone to get your things." Alex turned away to leave.

I grabbed his wrist. "Let me go to his house once again. I will tell him everything, even if he does not want to hear. I cannot give up like this." 

"Alright. We will go there on our way to the airport. Hopefully, you can make him understand."

***

I was now in Caleb's living room having a strong case of Deja vu. Chris was standing there with a smirk plastered on his face while Matt and Samuel kept saying things to prevent me from looking for Caleb upstairs. I just felt like collapsing again right there. The sadness that flashed through Matt's eyes and the smugness of Chris' smile told me everything I needed to know. 

I turned around and was about to walk away when Chris took my hand.

"Want to see your mate? I will take you there." Ignoring the other guys' protests, Chris led me upstairs. My feet mindlessly followed him. I was not sure if the strange feeling in the pit of my stomach was because of my busted organs or my stomach comforting my heart, which was about to suffer yet another blow.

"I was hoping you would come back, actually," said Chris, but I did not feel like answering.

Soon, we were in front of Caleb's bedroom; Chris was slowly opening the door. We both stepped into the room and in one second every remaining ounce of my will to live had been drained. There he was, my little Alpha, in bed locking lips with the obnoxious girl from the party. Both his shirt and her top were missing, and it was quite obvious what was about to go down had we not interrupted.

"Anna!" yelled Caleb as soon he saw me. He instantly jumped off the bed, staggering backward before finding the balance to stand straight. It was obvious that he had been drinking. Even without a superior sense of smell, I could smelt it.  

"Oh. Everything makes sense now," I whispered. "I hope you are proud of your work," I said to Chris.

I turned to Caleb. "Never, ever, talk to me, look at me or even think about me. Your mate is dead, I promise you!" I said, slightly raising my voice. Who am I kidding? I was screaming like a Banshee.

He stood there in shock and I sprinted my way out of there, with tears already clouding my vision. How could he? He rejected me today and already went back to his old ways? Is this even the first time?

I reached my car, almost passing out as I sat in the copilot's seat, and told my brother to drive off quickly. Just as we were about to leave, someone hopped into the car. My brother drove away anyway, probably using his big brother telepathy to know that I desperately needed to leave that place.

"Matt, what do you think you are doing here?" I asked breathlessly.

"I believe you, Anna. That you were forced, I believe it. Please let me join your pack."

~~T H E  E N D~~

The first part of the book finishes here, but fear not; this is not the end of the story. Check the next chapters.