Smile

Jack's POV
I pull into Elsa's driveway and see her walking to the front door with Jake in her arms. I run up and grab her keys from her hand to unlock the door. She quietly says thank you and walks in, slipping off her shoes before heading up the stairs. I take of my own shoes and then follow her up. She puts Jake in his bed, takes of his shoes and socks and then covers him up with his blankets. She kisses his head and whispers 'goodnight' as she walks out of the room and closing the door.
"I'm gonna get changed." She says and I nod. She disappears into her room and I walk into the one I normally stay in. Some of my stuff is still here so might as well get into something more comfy. I grab some gray sweatpants and a blue hoodie and change quickly. After that I head down the stairs and wait for Elsa in the living room. I laugh a it when she walks into the room.
"What?" She asks concerned.
"We match." She looks down at her outfit and then looks back to me. She's also wearing grey sweatpants and a blue hoodie. Once she realizes this, she starts laughing and walks over to me.
"Well, guess we're already doing couples things." She says and sits on my lap.
"Guess so. So, whatcha wanna do?"  She yawns and snuggles into my chest.
"Sleep." She says.
"Want me to take you to bed?" She shakes her head.
"Nah. We can watch a movie if you want. I'm more exhausted than tired."
"Alrighty then. You pick a movie, I'll go get us a snack." She nods. "Umm Els?"
"Hmm?" She responds. I laugh at her.
"You have to get off of me me if you want food." Her eyes pop open.
"Right..sorry." She says with a light blush on her face. She stands up and walks over to her movie collection while I walk to the kitchen.
Let's see.... on Doritos! I grab the bag of chips, some Root-beer cans, and some gummy worms. For someone so thin and fit, she sure does have a lot of junk food. I walk back to the living room and Elsa is sitting on the couch getting the movie set up.
"What are we watching?" I ask as I sit down next to her. She moves up closer to me and grabs a soda.
"Jurassic Park. The 1st one." So she likes scary things? Good to know. Future dates coming to mind. "Chips please!" I hand her the bag and she tears it open.
"Well, aren't you getting into the mood of dinosaurs.🦖 " She smacks my arm but laughs. The movie finally starts after millions and millions of commercials. Elsa stares at the screen intently while stuffing her face with chips and gummy worms. About half way through the movie, she starts to doze off. That is until....
"Mommy!! Daddy!!" Elsa's head snaps up and her eyes flash open. She gets up and runs to the stairs, I follow close behind her. She runs right to Jakes room and open the door. I stay at the door while she sits on his bed and pulls him close to her.
"Baby what wrong!?" Elsa says with a huge amount of concern in her voice. Jake is sobbing into her shoulder.
"I miss my Mom and Dad!" He screams and falls back onto his bed, leaving Elsa staring at him with tears in her eyes. She runs her hand over his back.
"Hey, look at me...." his head stays buried in his pillows. "...please?....." he shifts to look at His aunt/mother.
"Smile baby."
"How can I smile!? They're gone! Never coming back! I can't just smile and pretend like everything is fine! I've done it enough lately." He says the last part so quietly that I almost don't hear it. Elsa sighs sadly and takes Jakes hand in hers.
She clears her throat and closes her eyes.

Smile though your heart is aching,
Smile even though it's breaking,
When there are clouds in the sky,
You'll get by,

If you smile through your pain and sorrow,
Smile though it may be tomorrow,
You'll see the sun come shining through, for you,

The more Elsa sings the more she cries. Jake has calmed down a bit but is still shaking from crying. He moves into Elsa's lap and she curls up into a ball with him in her embrace. She rocks back and forth and continues to sing.

Light up your face with glad ness
Hide every trace of sadness,
Although a tear may be ever so near,
That's the time you must keep on trying,
Smile, what's the use of crying?

You'll find that life is still worthwhile, if you just smile.
Ooh, oh, oooh, mmm, ooh yeah
That's the time you must keep on trying,
Smile what the use of crying?

You'll find that life is still worthwhile,
If you just smile,

Smile though your heart is aching,
Smile even though its breaking,
When there are clouds in the sky,
You'll get by,

That's the time you must keep on trying, (keep on tryin')
Smile, what's the use of crying? (whats the use of crying)
You'll find that life is still worthwhile,
If you just smile,
You'll find that life is still worthwhile,
If you just smile, smile.

By the time Elsa finishes the song, Jake has fallen back asleep and she has calmed down. She slowly moves to put him back under the covers and then stands up. She walks out right past me and I close the door. She leans against the wall opposite of his room and slowly slides down till she sitting on the floor. I sit down next to her.
"When are you gonna tell him?" She shakes her head.
"I don't know. Probably not until he's older. Even if I do it soon, I'm gonna wait until after the funeral." I nod.
"When is it?"
"Week from Saturday."  We sit in slice for a while before I break the silence again.
"Do you wanna keep watching the movie or go to bed?" We both stand up. She wipes her face from the silent tears that have been falling.
"Do you mind if we just go to bed?" She says weakly. I nod.
"Yeah. I'll go turn everything off and stuff. I'll be right back up." She nods and slowly shuffles to her room. I head back down the stairs and turn off the tv and movie player, put away the chips and gummy worms, dump the soda cans and then head back upstairs.
I walk into Elsa's room, take off my hoodie, and lay down in the bed, next to her. I wrap my arms around her waist and pull her closer to me. I feel her shaking and know she's crying. I know she want to tell him, but that's kind of a big bomb to drop in a seven year old. His adoptive parents death was also hard on her.
1. Because she didn't want Jake to have to know what that kind of pain felt like. Losing your parents at such a young age, she knows it all to well and didn't want it for her son. And 2. She was actually friends with his parents. They weren't best friends who always spent time together, but they were close. She's good at hiding her emotions though. Especially in front of Jake. But sometimes, she just has to let go of all those feelings she's been keeping inside her. Right now was one of those times. And all I can do is try to comfort her.
"Smile beautiful." I say, thinking of the song.