Gone Too Soon Song Fic

Hey there now
Where'd you go
You left me here
So unexpected
You changed my life
I hope you know

Jax sat in the Stein house with Clarissa and Lily after the funeral. They were all still in their dark clothing, sobbing until their chests hurt. Jax was finding it rather hard to breathe at this point. His life hadn't been the worst, before Stein, but the old man had given him a father figure he never had before. He'd changed his life for the better. He wondered if he even knew how much he'd helped Jax.

'Cause now I'm lost
So unprotected
In the blink of an eye
I never got to say goodbye

Clarissa wiped  her eyes. She couldn't believe it. The man she had loved for over fifty years was gone. Again. He'd been ripped away from her once again in such a horrible way....She didn't know what she'd do without him. He was the love of her life, everything positive, her hopes, her dreams, the very breath that she breathed. The soul that resided within her. And he was gone. Just like that. She never even got to say goodbye, to tell him one last time how much she truly loved him.

Lily sniffled, trying to stop her raging sobs. She remembered her father was the one who had protected her, when she was little, and she was being bullied for being such a science nerd. She remembered he was the one that made sure her boyfriend was right for her. He was always so protective of his little girl, and Lily knew he'd do anything for her. But now he was gone. How was she supposed to feel that kind of solitude ever again?!

Like a shooting star
Flying across the room
So fast so far
You were gone too soon
You're a part of me
And I'll never be the same here without you
You were gone too soon

Jax sighed. How could it all have happened so fast? Stein shouldn't have died. Not like that. Not before he got the chance to teach baby Ronnie to play chess. Not before he got to walk his daughter down the aisle. He died way too soon. It wasn't fair. And on top of all that Jax had an undying feeling of dread. Stein had literally been apart of him, and now that he was gone there was a constant void in his heart.  Why did he have to die like that? He didn't deserve it!

You were always there
Like a shining light
On my darkest days
You were there to guide me

Lily thought back to a time in sixth grade, when she had to give a presentation to her entire class. It was the first time she'd ever had to do something like this alone, and all the other kids had been so mean to her, calling her a nerd and laughing at her. It had been very discouraging. But her father had shown up, insisting that he watch her present. That small act was enough to boost her confidence long enough to get through the presentation. Afterwards, he'd complimented her work. He'd said it was better than anything he could have thought up. And something about a father complimenting his daughter had made all the bullies back off.

He wasn't always perfect, but he was always there. And he always tried. No matter how confusing he found the situation. Whenever Lily was even slightly bummed out, he was there to comfort her. She could always count on the fact that he'd be the first to ask what was wrong, the first to listen to her problems - and really listen. He was always the one to give her advice, to guide her through life in general.

Oh I miss you now
I wish you could see
Just how much your memory
Will always mean to me

Clarissa wondered if Martin knew how much he was loved. How much his memory would mean to each of them in turn. And to the Legends. And team Flash. And all his other friends. She found herself crying again. She just really missed her husband....

In the blink of an eye
I never got to say goodbye

Lily's only wish was that she had gotten to say goodbye. He was gone in the blink of an before she even got to tell him how much he really meant to her. If she had known the Earth X crisis would be the last time she'd see him, she would have begged him to spend more time with her before leaving. Maybe she'd even convince the Legends to take her back in time and order her teenage self to be more obidenant. To listen to her father and appreciate the time they had together.

Like a shooting star
Flying across the room
So fast so far
You were gone too soon
You're a part of me
And I'll never be the same here without you
You were gone too soon

There was much crying and sobbing among the three of them for the next few hours. Martin Stein was a huge part of them all. He was the crutch that kept them standing. Without him...being okay was impossible.

Shine on
Shine on
On to a better place
Shine on
Shine on
We'll never be the same

Clarissa sat up, blinking back more tears. She looked at the young man and woman in front of her. She knew she'd have to be strong for the both of them. She'd already lost her husband once. She'd had time to grieve. Now it was time to let them mourn. She sighed, realizing that this would change everything. Nothing would be the same again. There would be no more waiting around, wondering what Martin is doing on his time ship. No more being satisfied, knowing he was happy, helping people. No more watching Martin and Lily work on science projects from the kitchen doorway.

There would no longer be any signs of laughter or joy from her daughter. There would be no more visits from Jax on the weekends, chatting happily about the things he and her husband had done on their journey through time.

From now on it would just be tears and broken hearts. It would be a vast void, a never ending abbys. They'd hit rock bottom very quickly. They'd withdrawal into a cave of loneliness and hopelessness. Lily and Jax....they'd never quite be the same again. And so Clarissa had to be there for them. She just hoped Martin had gone to a better place, when he died...

Shine on
Shine on
Like a shooting star
Flying across the room

They had finally stopped crying and fallen asleep several hours later. Clarissa looked at Jax, as he slept next to Lily on the couch. She wondered if he'd be able to cope with being on the Waverider without Martin. For his sake, she hoped he could.

So fast so far
You were gone too soon
You're a part of me

When Clarissa was positive the other two were fast asleep, she allowed herself to cry again. She'd lost the most important part of her that day. To Nazis, of all things. Right when they were about to be grandparents....it wasn't supposed to be like this. They were supposed to spend their whole lives together. They weren't supposed to live long enough to see Baby Ronnie grow up. Maybe even see their great grandchildren. It wasn't fair. Why did he have to go now? It was too soon....

And I'll never be the same here without you
You were gone too soon

Clarissa knew she'd never be the same again. This time Martin wasn't coming back from the dead. This time he was gone for good. He'd gone too soon...and now he was gone forever.

(Shine on shine on)
You were gone too soon
(Shine on shine on)
You were gone too soon