Legend Kids: Valentine's Day ...Er...Night

The Legend Kids had been traveling through the time stream for a few days now, their parents chaperoning them. The parents had opted to share rooms with their significant others, if they had one on board the ship, leaving plenty of rooms open for the teens to each have their own private quarters. But this left Kaleb feeling terribly alone and .... Cold.

It was kind of ironic, considering his father's codename was literally Captain Cold; and Kaleb had gotten use to bitter weather, as the Snart household was usually always leaning more toward the lower temperatures... But this was a different kind of cold all together. It was uncomfortable, scary. It gnawed at him, like bugs eating away at the carcass of some dead animal on the side of the road.

It wasn't unusual for Kaleb to get this feeling whenever he was away from Ryan, but lately he'd been clinging so much to his boyfriend, he was starting to worry that he was getting just a little bit annoying. Still, the sensation was rather overwhelming, especially once one took the most recent events into account. Since discovering there were literal demons after him and his sister, he had been put on edge.

There was a constant nagging feeling of something lurking in the shadows, watching, waiting to snatch him away. (Especially when he was alone.) Even in the safety of the time ship, floating through the temporal zone, Kaleb was sure the demons were just around the corner. Kaleb pulled the covers up to his chest, feeling his heart rate pick up. Witthout Ryan next to him, he felt as though there was a void, an empty space that could never be filled, despite his best efforts. It was a dark, never ending abyss that would eat him alive.

The shadows, glaring at him from all corners of the tiny room, did nothing to ease the heavy feeling, welling up inside of him. It was like a glass of water slowly filling up, until it spilled out onto the table.... And with that analogy Kaleb felt his metaphorical cup overfill with bullcrap. He couldn't take it anymore. He had to move. He had to see Ryan, even if it was in the middle of - or at least what the Legends had decided was - the night.
Besides, Kaleb thought, as he counted the Waverider's days in his head, it's Valentine's Day.

He threw his blanket aside and ran out of the room, before remembering everyone else was probably sleeping. Forcing himself to slow down, Kaleb tiptoed through the halls, making his way to his boyfriend's room. He cringed, whenever the ship's floorboards creaked underneath him.

Even though it was a mere two feet down the corridor, the walk seemed to last an eternity. The closer he got to Ryan's room, the further away the door seemed to get, stretching and coiling like a slinky, toying with the boy. Kaleb shuddered. The thought of the halls being able to think for themselves and annoy the crap out of him was very unsettling. Of course, Gideon, being an AI, could basically think for herself and the entire ship, but Kaleb doubted she'd ever do anything to hurt any of the Legends or their kids.

Still, it was enough to make Kaleb abandon his worries about waking anyone up and run the rest of the way to Ryan's room. Unfortunately, when he was doing so he hadn't been watching where he was going; and Kaleb ran right into a chair, knocking it over. It fell with a loud bang, making Ryan jump awake. Ryan looked around frantically for a moment, probably thinking the ship was being attacked or something. A minute passed, and his groggy gaze landed on Kaleb. The blonde boy, visibly cringing, gave a small wave.

"Sorry..." he muttered.

"It's okay," Ryan said, yawning. "What's up?"

"I...couldn't sleep..."

Here was where Joey - Kaleb's ex - would have called him a baby. He'd say he was too needy and that he was lucky Joey was considerate enough to deal with bullshit. He'd make Kaleb feel like the worst human being in the world over something so little.... But Ryan wasn't Joey. Ryan never said those kind of things. Instead, his brow furrowed with worry and scooted over on the bed to make room for his boyfriend.

Kaleb smiled sheepishly, feeling bad for waking him. He climbed into bed next to Ryan, snuggling up into the other boy's side. "Sorry for waking you," Kaleb said again.

"It's okay," Ryan said. "Don't worry about it." He wrapped his arms around Kaleb, and immediately Kaleb felt himself warming up. He always secure in Ryan's arms. Maybe it was stupid and irrational, but, when Kaleb was being held by Ryan, he felt as though nothing could touch him. He was safe. (From Joey. From the demons. From...everything.) It was one of the many reasons Kaleb was always so reluctant to be anywhere without his boyfriend. It was his own private little bubble of sanctuary.

Kaleb smiled a little into Ryan's chest, scooting as close as he could to him without making him uncomfortable. He couldn't help comparing the way Ryan held him to the way Joey had held him. Ryan had his arms around him tightly, but the hold was still lose enough that Kaleb could get up and leave, if he wanted to. Joey hadn't been like that. He didn't let Kaleb leave, until he got bored. If Kaleb had tried, he'd just tighten the grip, making it impossible to escape his hold.

Needless to say, Kaleb much preferred Ryan's hold.
"By the way," Ryan said, his words being slurred slightly, as he was half asleep. "Happy Valentine's Day."

"Happy Valentine's Day," Kaleb repeated. He curled up into his boyfriend's chest; the two snuggled and cuddled for the rest of the night. It wasn't long before they both drifted off into a deep slumber, and Kaleb had forgotten all about demons, and abusive exes, and the stresses of time traveling. They could have crash landed in the middle of World War II and neither of the two boys would have noticed. Nothing else existed in that moment. (And it wouldn't for a very long time.) It was just Kaleb and Ryan. Ryan and Kaleb. And that was perfectly okay.