The One Who got Away

This was requested by @georgiaaaaaaa Also it was requested that this take place during season 3, but I've placed it a little after the season. I just think it works a bit better for the plot, you know? Hope you enjoy anyway!

----

Sara took Ava back to Star City for a proper date. After their last one had been so rudely interrupted, she figured she owed that to her. (Of course with a team like the Legends, this date was bound to end horribly as well, but it was worth a shot. Ava deserved only the best.)

The two were walking hand and hand along the streets of Star City after a pleasant dinner at a fancy restaurant at the edge of town.

Sara smiled, feeling happier than she had in a long time. Hell, maybe it was even the first time she'd ever felt happy in her life. Something about Ava just completed her. Even if the other woman was just a clone, Sara thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world.

Her long, light brown hair hung loosely over her shoulders, the ends curled like a princess. Normally, she would have it pinned up in a tight pun. Sara thought her traditional look was pretty sexy, but she absolutely loved when Ava let her hair down. It drove her crazy in all the right ways. The way it shaped her face so perfectly. The way her eyes popped. She was utterly gorgeous.

Ava's little black dress was a little less than modest, as she was clearly trying (not so subtly) extra hard to catch Sara's eye that night. (And it was working.) Normally, Ava would have worn her professional pantsuit, but this dress hugged her body magnificently, complimenting all her curves.

Sara herself was dolled up in a blood red dress, form fitting at the top, and frilly at the bottom. Any other night she would have laughed at the idea of wearing such a thing. Maybe she would have even made fun of anyone who wore a dress like this. But tonight, she figured it was probably okay to let her usually aggressive demeanor drop. Just a little.

Ava did that to her. All the walls she had been building up for years instantly came crumbling down as soon as she laid eyes on her girlfriend. With every kiss, she took another step out of the darkness and into the light. With every tough, she felt all her worries melting away. She felt the monster running for the hills. When Sara was with Ava she could pretend, just for a moment, that none of the terrible things she had done in the past had ever happened. That they didn't define her.

She never judged her. She never looked at her as if she was a beast risen from hell. Ava loved Sara, demons and all. And how could she ask for any more than that?

"You know, I just realized something," Ava said suddenly. Sara glanced at her, raising her eyebrow. So, she continued. "I never said it back...I think it's about time I did."

Sara smirked. She wrapped her arms around Ava's neck, staring straight into the other woman's eyes. "Well? I'm waiting."

Ava grinned back at her. "Sara Lance...I love you."

"I love you too."

Sara leaned forward, closing the gap. She kissed her girlfriend passionately, sincerely. It wasn't the same way she kissed the ladies she hooked up with for one night stands. This was a real, genuine kiss. Long, and slow. Not rushed and sloppy. Gentle and soft. Not rough and heated. When their lips touched, the White Canary felt sparks ignite in the pit of her stomach. Her heart was thrown around in several directions. She felt as though she were floating in mid-air.

Sara's kiss resonated with her feelings for Ava. She kissed her slowly, so that the moment may last for as long as possible. Unlike the one night stands, she didn't just want a quick shag only to never see her again. She wanted this -- the sparks, the floating -- to last for as long as possible. She wanted her and Ava to last forever.