Walk a Little Straighter Daddy Song Fic

I remember looking up
To look up to him
And I remember most the times
He wasn't there

Leonard Snart had never claimed to have the best childhood, but it was pretty okay....until it all went to shit. And he could pin point exactly when that happened, even at the young age of ten years old. It happened, when Lewis was sent to prison for five years for stealing that Emrald. When he got out, he wasn't the same. And it didn't take Len long to figure out he'd never be the same ever again.

I'd be waiting at the door
When he got home at night
He'd pass me by
To go pass out in his chair

Whenever Lewis came home from work - or plotting heists, whatever you wanted to call it - Len would always run to the door to greet him like a good little boy. Unfortunately, Lewis didn't seem to give two shits about him. It only took two weeks for Len to figure out that his father, the one he knew and loved, was gone forever. He'd been replaced by some cold, evil monster that would stop at nothing to get what he wanted. (Even if that meant he'd have to hurt his own kids to do it.)

Lewis would always, always pass out drunk in the chair, when he came home. It was rare to see the man without a bottle in his hand. And with that bottle came the rage. And with that rage came the - what he called - lessons.

Lesson number one, don't wake him up after he'd passed out in the chair. There were consequences for that. There were consequences for everything. (Usually, they were pretty dire in the Snart house. It would seem that Len and his three year old sister simply weren't allowed to do anything, unless they wanted to be smacked.)

And I'd say,
Walk a little straighter, daddy
You're swaying side to side
Your footsteps make me dizzy
And no matter how I try
I keep trippin' and stumblin'
If you'd look down here you'd see
Walk a little straighter, daddy
You're leading me

Fast forward, Len had just been sent to juvie for stealing from the convenience store. (Which he thought was a total over reaction.) He'd met Mick Rory in juvie. They'd instantly become best friends. (Well, that sort of thing happens when someone saves your life.)

Leonard didn't realize it, until several years later, but he was following Lewis down a dark and dangerous path. One that would be extremely difficult to get out of. For years, he had himself fooled. He could make his own choices. He was his own person. Absolutely nothing like his father.

But the truth was everything Leonard Snart was, everything he did, was because Lewis was leading him. He was making Leonard trip and stumble over himself in a fruitless effort to become anything that wasn't Lewis. But no matter how he tried, it didn't work.

He was in and out of prison, just like Lewis. He was a theif, like Lewis. He was a murderer just like Lewis. No matter how many times Leonard denied the it, it was the truth. He was becoming just like his father.

Well he stumbled in the gym
On graduation day
And I couldn't help but feel so ashamed

It was Lisa's graduation day. The class had already sat down, and the principal had already started the ceremony. Leonard was there, sitting in the bleachers. He'd even dragged Mick along. Lisa smirked, figuring he'd probably told him they were going to a bar.

The lead student council member and student body president was half way through their speech, when Lewis stumbled in drunk off his ass, shouting at the top of his lungs.
"Lisa!" he yelled. "Lisa! Hey, where's my daughter?! I heard she's graduating today!"