Who I am Song Fic

I'm a saint, and I'm a sinner
I'm a loser and a winner
Without faith and a believer
I am true and the deceiver
I'm a hero and a villian
I'm a myth, and I'm a legend
Without strength and a contender
I am real and the pretender

Sara Lance was never the most perfect girl. She did her best to be as Saint like as she possibly could, but unfortunately she couldn't stop herself from sinning. That is to say she did a lot of "bad girl" things, like sneaking off with her sister's boyfriend for a boat ride in the middle of the night. (And then subsequently almost drowning and becoming a vigilante.)

She didn't win every battle all the time, but in the end she knew how to win the war. Sara was strong, independent. She could always handle herself, even before the events that had taken place after the Queens' Gambit had sank.

Before she had died (and eventually been brought back to life) she had never really believed in anything religiously, but now....she wasn't sure. She assumed it didn't matter much anyway.

Sara did her best to be honest with her team. Everyone knew how dishonesty turned out for Rip, when he was leading the team. And when she'd kept her vendetta against Darhk from them...Well that hadn't ended well either. It was hard, though. The White Canary had a lot of baggage that came with her where ever she went. It wasn't going to go away just because she wanted it to. And so she had to keep some things from her team, just for the time being. She wasn't ready to talk about everything yet, even as it had been several years since they'd occurred.

Sara had always struggled to define her true self. Was she a villain or hero? As the Black Canary, she had helped people at the expense of another's life. She'd tortured people relentlessly, murdered them slowly, painfully. Those were things a villain would do. But now....she traveled through time and helped save the world more than once. She was a hero, a legend.

Take me as I am, or don't
Cause I don't give a damn, no
Take me as I am, or don't
Cause I don't give a damn, no

It took traveling with the rest of the Legends on the Waverider for Sara to realize that she was just fine the way she was, blood lust or not. If someone didn't like her, if they couldn't appreciate her for who and what she was, then they didn't deserve her anyway. Why should she have to change to make anyone else happy anyway? It wasn't their life she was living.

I have my flaws
I make mistakes
But I'm myself
I'm not ashamed
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh

Like any other human being on the planet - no matter what dimension they came from - Sara Lance had flaws. She wasn't afraid to admit that. She'd shout it at the top of her lungs from the highest building she could find if she had to. And she had made plenty of mistakes to go along with those flaws. Of course, she'd regretted some choices she'd made, but she wasn't ashamed. It was all part of who she was. And she wouldn't change it for anything. This was obviously who she was meant to be - the White Canary, the captain of the Legends. Any other lifestyle would be frivolous.

I have my doubts
I lose my strength
Sometimes I fall, but I don't break
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh

There were moments when Sara doubted herself and the tough calls she's had to make as the leader of the team. But the Legends were always there to help pick up the pieces. Even before she was the leader. Leonard Snart had talked her out killing Martin Stein, knowing she'd come to regret it later. Ray Palmer had talked her out of killing the past version of Damion Darhk, when she was seeking revenge for her sister's death. In battle, when she couldn't handle something (which wasn't often, but those moments did happen) the team was always right there beside her. The Legends had her back both metaphorically and literally.

I'm a poet and a soldier
I am young and growing older
Without hope, but I'm a dreamer
I'm the cure, and I'm the fever
I am lost with a direction
I am failure and perfection
Without grace, but I am tired
Of walking life like it's a wire
Take me as I am, or don't
Cause I don't give a damn, no
Take me as I am, or don't
Cause I don't give a damn, no

There couldn't have been a single person alive who was more complex than Sara Lance. She knew she was stubborn. She walked a fine line between graceful and ghastly. Sara was a poet at heart, dreaming about living the perfect little life with a perfectly family, but in her mind she was a soilder, wired to make tough decisions and fight to the bitter end. She was trained so that the most heinous acts wouldn't deprive her of sleep even a little.

She dreamed of having a happy life, maybe a husband or a wife someday. Maybe even kids. But she'd lost all hope of that dream becoming a reality a long time ago. She was too dangerous, anyway. She carried too much baggage. Whenever people fell in love with her, someone got hurt, wheather that be the poor soul whose heart she'd stolen or herself.

Maybe she'd lost herself somewhere along the way, but since joining the Legends she could proudly say she had regained a sense of identity. She knew who she was now. And she didn't ever want to lose sight of that ever again.

I have my flaws
I make mistakes
But I'm myself
I'm not ashamed
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh
I have my doubts
I lose my strength
Sometimes I fall, but I don't break
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh

Sara wasn't ashamed of who she was. Not anymore, anyway. Nothing mattered, now. Not her sexuality. Not her past. Not her future. Nothing. It was all apart of her, yes, but it did not define her. She had friends, family, a team that would love and support her ( yes even Mick) no matter what. They'd stand by her through thick and thin. And so nothing else mattered all that much. They accepted her the way she was. And that was good enough.

I don't want to be someone else
I don't ever want to lose this hunger
Never gonna try to change myself, oh
When everybody's got their soul on sale
I don't want to be just a number
Never gonna try to change myself, oh, oh, oh

Just as her team had never tried to change her, Sara had come to the conclusion that she didn't want to change herself either. She was good just the way she was, in spite of all the flaws and mistakes following her around like a shadow on the ground. If given the chance to be anyone else in the entire multiverse, even for just a few hours, Sara would - without hesitation - decline. It took a few years, but she was perfectly okay with being herself. She didn't want to be anyone else. She was a Legend, and that was the way it was going to stay.

I have my flaws
I make mistakes
But I'm myself
I'm not ashamed
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh
I have my doubts
I lose my strength
Sometimes I fall, but I don't break
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh

That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh
That's who I am, oh

~

A/N: Okay! That took some work, but I got through it, woo! I hope you enjoyed it!

If you're someone who enjoys song fic and you'd like to see more, I will be making a book specifically for that in just  a few hours. At the moment it is simply titled "Arrowverse Song Fics" (until I come up with something better that is)

If you're interested be on the lookout for it!

Have a splendid afternoon/night/whatever it is in your area 😘😘