New Years Kiss: Legend Kids

It was new years eve, and mid night was drawing closer and closer. As the minutes ticked by Catriona grew all the more worried and nervous.

She and Ethan had only been dating for a couple of weeks. Hell, they'd only just admitted they actually liked each other! But already, the others in their group were pressuring them. Tonight, they'd all be following that weird New Years tradition, that one where you kissed your boyfriend or girlfriend at midnight.

All the couples in the group would be doing it...which meant that she and Ethan would be expected to do the same. And she wasn't sure she was ready for that. She was still sorting her feelings out. What if she didn't really like him as much as she thought? Kissing him would make everything complicated!

But of course if she didn't kiss him, she'd never hear the end of it. Not to mention, it would make things extremely awkward. What if she didn't want to kiss him, but he wanted to kiss her? Ugh! Why was new years so stressful?!

Catriona groaned and rolled over on her bed dramatically.

"What's wrong?" Catriona's mother asked, as she came into the room to put laundry away.

"Um...well...it's kind of...Erm..." She sat up and sighed. "Well, you know how you're supposed to kiss your boyfriend or girlfriend at midnight...?"

"You don't want to kiss Ethan?" Lily asked, putting the pieces together.

Catriona shrugged. "I mean...I don't know. Maybe eventually. But, like, not...now."

"Then don't," Lily told her daughter sternly. "Just because it's traditional and it works for others doesn't mean you have to do it too. If it doesn't work for you, you shouldn't feel pressured to do it. You shouldn't be pressured into anything you don't want to do."

Catriona played with the sleeve of her shirt, thinking about what her mother was saying. "I guess...but what if he doesn't feel the same way?"

"One of his fathers is Ray Palmer," Lily pointed out. "I'm willing to bet he does."

"Okay....but - "

"If he doesn't feel the same way, I'll take you shoe shopping on Monday," Lily promised.

"You were going to do that anyway," Catriona reminded her.

Lily laughed lightly. "So I was....but still. Even if he doesn't feel the same way, I'll bet he'll respect your decision. He's a nice boy."

Later that day, Catriona went to the Rory-Palmer house.  She knocked, feeling rather nervous and fidgety. It was very out of character for her.

Thankfully, Ethan was the one who opened the door. So, there wasn't any awkward small talk with Ray or awkward stare downs with Mick. Just straight to the point.

Catriona took a deep breath, not even given Ethan time to say hello. "I don't want to kiss you," she told him. "I mean...I do. Maybe. Eventually. But not tonight. It's much too soon, and frankly I'm feeling a lot of anxiety about it. And - "

"Catriona," Ethan interupted. "You are rambling more than my dad right now!"

That made her stop talking rather quickly. She made a nervous laugh and started playing with her finger nails. What the hell was wrong with her? Why was she acting so weird?

Ethan grinned at her, not seeming to notice her weirdness. "I'm glad you came over, though," he said. "I was about to call...because...um...I don't really want to kiss you tonight either..."

Catriona sighed in relief."Oh, thank God!"

Ethan laughed. "Yeah..."

"The others are going to pester us about this," Catriona said.

"They'd pester us anyway," Ethan shrugged.

"That's...probably true."

So when mid night rolled around, all the Legend Kids were standing around, waiting for the big ball to drop from the top of city hall in Star City.

When it did, when the clock struck midnight, everyone began kissing their significant others. Kaleb and Ryan had a full on make out session. Laurel and her latest girlfriend kissed pationately. Even JJ and Samantha were kissing.

Everyone was kissing except Ethan and Catriona. (And Ben, who didn't have a significant other.) They just sat under the stars, holding hands, enjoying each other's company. Eventually, their time would come to share their first kiss. But for now, this was enough.