Germany x zombie reader // Our Last Goodbye

A/n this is a tad bit angsty lol.
This takes place in an apocalyptic society where a virus spread and turned people into zombies.

And yes, zombies can turn people into zombies.

Thank you @militiagal for suggesting this!

***

Ludwig's POV

It's not easy being the person people count on in these terrible times. Being the best zombie hunter, people tend to look to me for help in missions. I barely have a break. Ever since the virus spread worldwide two short years ago, I've been working and fighting non-stop.

It's been especially hard since I lost my partner, Y/n. The day she died still replays over and over in my brain. Thinking she's dead makes me feel better, I like to push the thought of her being a zombie out of my mind.

**flashback to the day it happened **

Y/n and I were on a mission in an abandoned factory. There was a call from some locals saying that the area had just a few zombies, so Y/n and I agreed thinking it would just be a quick win.

We wandered around for what seemed like hours with nothing in sight. That's when it happened.

I saw the zombie at the end of the aisle and shot at it mercilessly. I heard a scream from behind me and turned around quickly to see a zombie biting down on Y/n's neck. She was twitching terribly and was falling to the ground. She reached her hand out to me.
I was frozen in fear.
"He-lp m-e..."
Her hand dropped along with her body.
I shot the zombie that killed her until it was an unrecognizable heap on the floor.
I ran before I knew the true fate of Y/n.

**timeskip over**

I was called to a street where someone reported a swarm of zombies wandering around. Feliciano and Gilbert offered to come along with me, but I declined saying I'd rather go alone.

I was walking along the dusty road when I heard a trash can fall to the floor. I turned around to see a swarm of zombies emerging from an alleyway.
And at the front, ragged, rotting, and gone, was Y/n.

I stood still. I couldn't kill Y/n. Even if she was a zombie.

I fell to my knees. She was approaching.

At least I'm being killed by the woman I loved.

***
A/n sorry if this wasn't how you wanted but I got so much inspiration and just rolled with it. This was actually really fun to write :)