Chapter 3: Roommate

As he walked me up to his nice apartment, I felt like I needed to ask him about himself. But I was too embarrassed as is. I was just appreciative of how he helped me. 

"Thank you." I mumbled. He looked too pissed off to say anything. He unlocked the door and pushed the door open.

"Tess, give me some of your clothes!" He yelled as he let me in and closed the door behind me.

Wait

He lives with a woman

His woman?

"Who's the lady?" A woman came from the back with boy shorts and a sports bra. She looked really good. She had smooth chocolate skin and long black hair.

"Maybe I could call a cab." I told Khi.

"Her fucked up ass husband stripped her naked in downtown Manhattan in the fucking cold and took her keys!" Khi ignored me. The girl, Tess, covered her mouth in shock.

"Girl come to my room." She walked over to me and walked me to her room. I was so embarrassed for everyone to know what happened to me.

"Let's start by getting a name." She smiled as she threw me some sweat pants and a sweatshirt of hers. She watched me change into the clothes very closely.

"I'm Genesis." I smiled. She showed her very white teeth.

"Well nice to meet you Genesis. I'm Tess, Khi's best friend." She extended her hand just like Khi. Unlike his, I shook her hand.

"You work for Sports Illustrated too? You look more like the girls on the front cover." I shared a laugh with her.

"No way! I'm a Kindergarten teacher. I stay here with this weirdo because rent is totally cheaper." She shrugged. I can hardly blame her for that. The cost of living is so much higher in New York than it was in Jamaica. I mean you almost have to be an athlete, Hollywood superstar, doctor, or lawyer just to make it in this state.

"Well that's understandable." I shrugged. She just smiled at me with this weird look.

"Your accent is so cool." She admitted. I never had anyone compliment me on my accent other than Liam. Now he just mocks me or belittle me. Sometimes I feel like a slave to him.

Honestly, he chose to date a black girl. My mom was hesitant of him since he came from a family of rich people. She thought he was looking for a trophy wife.

Now I see she was right. He only brings me out to make himself look good.

"You dressed?" I heard Khi from the bedroom door. I turned to him and his eyes were covered.

"She's cool." Tess said. Khi put his hands down and stared at me. I knew he wanted to say something but he didn't know where to start. He squinted his eyes at me and walked back to the front.

"He's just not into that type of stuff." Tess shrugged. She walked me to the front and we all sat in the living room drinking hot chocolate with marshmallows.

"So that's your husband." He said more as a statement, bringing a chill over the once silent room.

"I should go home. He's probably-"

In the midst of me standing up Tess grabbed my arm roughly. I looked down at her and slowly sat back down.

"You're kidding right?" She asked. Khi just sat there looking bored.

"He's my husband still. I love him and it was my fault. I should have made Khi get up." I whispered the last part.

Khi almost choked on his cup of hot chocloate.

"Are you telling me he undressed you in 5 degree weather because I was sharing a conversation with you?! Tell me that's a lie." He said.

"Khi you can be a little flirty but I'm sure it was nothing to strip her down in public for." Tess said.

I was too embarrassed to say anything. My husband just ruined me. This is by far the worse thing he has ever done to me. Somehow I still feel like I can make him love me again.

"I'm going to call a taxi. My husband would kill me if he knew I was here." I panicked as I quickly pulled my phone out.

"In a sad way I believe you." Tess went back to sipping on her hot chocolate.

"Please don't go back. I don't want to see you on the news a week from now for being killed by your husband." Khi said. I was kind of scared once he said that.

"He wouldn't." I tried making myself believe but it wasn't even believable to me.

"Well let me get you a coat and some of my Uggs to wear back home. Don't bother giving it back." Tess said as she went to her room leaving Khi and I alone.

He didn't hide the look of disgust on his face. Not even a little bit.

"Thanks for being so kind to me." I told him.

"I was supposed to do that, sweetheart." He said.

I looked around their living room and saw pictures of Khi and Tess everywhere. One picture was of them standing in front of the Eiffel Tower. Well of course Tess was on Khi's back!

Another picture had them standing with Barack Obama in the White House. I bet that was an outstanding trip.

"You and Tess grew up together?" I asked as I looked in his direction. Surprisingly he was already staring at me.

"We went to college together. We both ran cross country and pretty much bonded ever since. She's my best friend." He smiled at the thought of his relationship with Tess. It was cute.

I have no friends. Liam cut me off from everyone including my mom. She calls only on holidays and sometimes just to check to see if he 'beat the shit out of me yet' as she would say.

I would talk to the lady that lived down the street as we use to jog the neighborhood together but she eventually moved. I was depressed because I was alone once again.

Liam has his model friends but we have nothing in common. His guy friends are into working out and being goofies, and his girl friends are just bitches. Tess is the most down to earth girl I've met.

"Here you go." Tess walked back in the living room tossing me her Uggs and a fur coat.

"Thanks so much Tess." My phone started to ring and it was the cab driver. I told him to give me five as I put Tess's clothes on.

"Be careful." Khi looked at me as if he didn't want me to go. I honestly wanted him to tell me to stay.

"See ya around." I lingered towards the door as he followed.

"Yea. At the coffee shop, right?" He asked. I smiled.

"My laptop is fucked up. I probably won't be at the coffee shop anytime sooner." I shrugged. He looked kind of disappointed.

"Well do you have any hobbies?" He asked.

"Khi stop flirting. Her cab is going to leave her." Tess laughed.

"Sorry. See you later." He told me before I left with a smile.

I really dreaded walking out of his door. I felt like I was a dead girl walking.