Chapter 21: Freedom

I've changed. I'm not the same woman I was 17 years ago. Matter of fact I'm worse. Prison did a number on me. It made me into an animal.

"Be good." The guard said as he opened the wide gate of the prison. I stood there wearing the clothes I came in, and holding nothing but my hope and pride.

I had no one. My mom hardly ever came to see me. Khi eventually stopped with his letters and calls. He completely cut me off. He stopped answering my calls as if I was just a random person.

"I love you" he said.

"I'll never do you wrong." He said. 

All that shit was a lie. At least I know Liam would have been man enough to keep tabs on my stupid ass. I practically went to prison for Khi.

If I never met Khi, I would still be getting pushed around by my husband.

I was so deep in my thoughts that I didn't notice a new guard stood between me and the prison van. He opened my door as I crawled in the back. He hopped in, quickly, and drove off.

P is what he goes by, by me. I call him that because his first name is too long to pronounce. I've become very fund of him in my stay here. He was the only genuinely nice person to me.

"Where to, Mrs. Angels?" He asked. He looked at me through the rear view mirror with his shaded eyes.

"Home." I simply stated.

I looked at myself through the mirror. I looked older and mature. I'm 43 now and I feel like my life has just passed me by.

I cut my dreads, letting my natural curly hair grow. I had scars on my face from fighting for my life while in prison.

"Are you even allowed to go back to that house?" He asked. I ignored him and took in the Manhattan scene. I missed this. I missed the streets of Manhattan.

"My mother's house." I corrected him.

"I thought you grew balls, Mrs. Angels." He laughed.

I sold the home Liam and I stayed in. I let the money sit in my account. I paid my lawyer and I let a little bit go on my books. When Khi stopped sending money, I had to sell our home. I sold it for 3.4 million dollars. Of course some creepy guy bought it that's into that haunted house crap.

"Do I still look good?" I asked him out of curiosity. He looked at me through the rear view mirror. His lips formed into a small smile.

"Prettiest inmate I knew." He laughed a little.

Good. I plan on paying an old friend a visit. I want answers.

Why did he stop writing and visiting me? Was I a burden?

"They had me in prison with The Son Of Sam. Do you really think I deserved to share the same roof with a serial killer? I'm offended." I crossed my arms.

He laughed as he made a quick right. He made me laugh a little. They actually thought I was some fucking animal!

"You were transferred TWICE, Mrs. Angels, due to fighting. You stabbed a woman! Luckily she lived." He said.

"Im gone get her." I could hear the girl whisper to other people. It was my 30th birthday and she wanted to take me off this earth. I simply sat at the cafeteria table alone, eating the slop in front of me.

"Say ma!" She called. She walked towards me with her gang of girls. They all looked like some Latina thugs.

I'm no fool. I put my feet together to make sure my shank was still in my sock. This girl has been out to get me for a minute now.

Soon as she got close enough I stabbed her four good times in her kidneys.

The alarm started going off causing everyone to drop to the ground. The girl dropped in front of me and was bleeding her life away. I smiled at her as she held her side in pain.

I could feel the guards grabbing me by my shirt and pulling me up.

"I should have killed her." I shrugged. I don't kill people for no reason. I kill people if they pose as a threat to me.

"It would have only added more time to your sentence. I'm glad you're a free woman now. I never thought you deserved to get this time." He said.

I knew I wasn't supposed to have this time, but I knew I was supposed to do some time.

While I was in, I started worshiping God more and attending the Sunday day service.

I've changed.

Yet, does a person really ever change? Right now I have rage in my heart the closer I get to my mother's house. Why? Why do I feel the sudden urge to lash out?

"Do you know which house it is?" I asked as he turned into the gated neighborhood. There were new neighbors and some were still the same.

I just wish my mom would be as happy to see me as I am to see her. Yet, I feel like there is going to be a different outcome.

"This one." He pulled up next to the mailbox of my old home. It looked different. It actually looked like someone was maintaining the old Victorian home.

"Thanks, P." I told the guard as he opened my door. He helped me out the van and walked me up to the door.

"You're my girl. I've enjoyed the little time we've been around each other. When I first started working at the prison, you taught me not to be so nice." He laughed.

I sat and watched the new guard let all the women push him around and feel him up. He won't be here too much longer.

I walked by him and he looked at me.

"Problem?" I asked. He looked shocked but looked away.

"You're not even going to threaten me? You need to grow some balls." I looked at his name tag. "Officer Miles."

I laughed at the old memory of the scrub I once knew. Now he's telling bitches what to do left and right. I'm proud of P.

"You were so lost." I laughed with him.

I knocked on my mom's door and I could hear footsteps.

"Here goes nothing." I whispered.

Once the door swung open, a lost Doctor George stood there. Of course my mom would be screwing the doctor now.

"Genesis." He pulled me in to a hug, causing me to be caught off guard.

"Well my work here is done." P started to walk away but I quickly got out of George's embrace.

"Slow down, P!" I jogged up behind him. He stopped and turned around to a big embrace from me.

"What you hugging me for?" He laughed.

"For being a friend for 17 years. We literally grew and watched each other get grey hair." I laughed as I pointed to his grey beard.

"Oh stop! You're going to make me cry." He wiped away a fake tear.

"Well clearly I don't have a phone, but you know where I'm at." I looked back at the house.

"For sure!" He smiled before hopping in the van and leaving.

I walked back up the driveway and George stood there with a smile.

"Oh Iris is going to be happy to see you." He said.

"George, why are you in my house?" I laughed as I walked into the home.

"Mom!" I called like I was a little girl again. I'm a grown 43 year old woman now. I'm actually feeling pretty old.

She came walking out the kitchen with a small smirk.

"Is that my Gen?" She asked as if I was a little girl, causing me to laugh.

"Absolutely! A new woman." I stated.

A new woman who was ready to get herself back in trouble because she's not use to living outside of prison anymore.