Chapter 17: I Loved Him To Death

I danced around in a daze as the Hennessy started to kick my butt. Everything was going in slow motion as the flashy lights grew bigger in the club.

"Slow down, ma. You might hurt yourself." This man whispered in my ear. I turned and he was chocolate like my mom likes her men.

"Move." I pushed him slightly in the chest. He just moved closer. I couldn't even control myself. My dancing was so wild right now.

"You want it." He said. That's when I threw up on his shoes.

"You bitch!" He yelled before running out the club. It reminded me too much of Liam. I couldn't hold my disgust any longer.

I ran towards the door and was met with several NYP. My eyes grew big as they recognized me and started speaking to each other.

I took my heels off like any black girl would and I ran. I ran for my life. Running and drunk isn't a good thing to do.

That's when a bullet flew past my head and I dove to the ground.

"Put your hands behind your head!" The police yelled. I was lying in the middle of the road as traffic stopped due to my ignorant ass arrest.

"What did I do, officer?" I asked. He came and knelt down on his knees. He pulled my arms down in an uncomfortable manner and put them behind my back.

"You are under arrest for the murder of Liam Angels." He said. That made me feel funny. Hearing him put murder and Liam in the same sentence didn't even sound right. It sounded perfect!

He then started reading me my rights. Honestly, I still felt free even with cuffs around me.

He stood me up as people stood around watching and recording on their phones. I wore a smirk.

Who would have known Liam would make me famous?

He shoved me in the back of the police car and slammed my door. I looked out in the crowd and saw so many flashing cameras.

"You will be somebody someday, baby. Be patient."

My mom's voice went through my head. She told me when I was a little girl that I would be somebody. I didn't want to be known as a killer.

The police got in and we drove off through the crowd. I didn't even know what to think. I was really going down for murder.

Once we got to the police station, they put me in this interrogation room. A man in a suit walked in and thought he was intimidating me.

"I'm not talking without my lawyer, Gina Macintosh!" I made very clear.

Gina is the woman who got that Laney Cole girl off for murder. I know she can get me as little time as possible.

He looked at me with a sly grin.

"Is that the route we're taking?" He asked. I didn't open my mouth. I want my lawyer present.

"Get my lawyer and get someone to loosen these cuffs!" I wiggled my hands. They were loosing circulation.

"Okay, Mrs. Angels." He said as he walked out.

Three hours later and my lawyer came in looking like she was about business.

"Hello, I'm Gina Macintosh and I will be representing you." She said as she opened her brief case and gave me a contract. I didn't really need to read it. All of Liam's money was paying for her anyway!

"Genesis Angels." I told her. An officer came in and took my cuffs off. He then walked back out.

I quickly signed the contract and slid it back to her.

"Okay, Genesis. You look like a bright girl. You know how these murder situations go. Either you did it and get little time, did it and wiggle your way out, didn't do it and walk free, or you didn't do it and do time. You have to trust me and tell me the truth. Did you kill-"

"I did it." I told her. She only stared at me. I suppose she thought I would be hesitant.

Fuck no.

Liam got what he deserved and I'm taking every bit of credit for knocking his goofy ass off the map!

"They have my heel prints in the blood at our home." I said.

"Why did you do it?" She asked as she squinted her eyes. She seemed more interest in me than the case.

I took the bottled water they gave me and started scrubbing my face with the water. I then stood up and showed her all the bruises on my body.

"He was beating my ass for three years. Nearly killed me." I said. She tried to hold her emotions and she looked at the bruises all over me. I sat back down in my seat and watched her expression.

That's when I slowly raised my top lip to show her the teeth I was missing on the side.

She started coughing to catch air.

"This is a sweep, Genesis. The jury is going to feel so guilty for you, you may even get off for this. Let's go in and plead guilty for self defense." She told me.

"And how many years do you think I would get?" I asked.

"You're going down for first degree murder, so let's just hopefully pray they give you either 5-10 years with parole in 3, or simply just house arrest for 3 years." She said.

I stared at her as she stared at me.

"Why'd you let it go on so long?" She asked me.

"Have you ever been in love Mrs. Macintosh?" I asked. She slowly dropped her head and nodded.

"Love makes you do some crazy things. Love makes you ignore all signs that that person isn't for you. I loved him to death." I shrugged. She stared me straight in the eyes.

"Too bad death had to come so soon." I added. She broke the uncomfortable stare after my last statement.

"So do you want to go to prison, Mrs. Angels?" She asked.

"No one wants to go to prison, Mrs. Macintosh, but I also won't miss sleep if I do go. I will never miss another nap again knowing Liam is dead."