Chapter 20: The Jury finds you...

I sat here with sweaty palms as we waited in the lobby for the jury to get done with their votes.

"You're Okay, sunshine?" Gina walked up to me and handed me a bottle of water. Clearly I looked like I could puke at any moment.

"Absolutely not." I said honestly. I opened the water and took three big gulps.

"Oh my baby!" I knew that loud voice from anywhere. I looked past Gina and saw Tess running towards me with opened arms. Khi walked slowly behind her with a slight smirk at me.

Tess grabbed me up in a tight hug causing me to drop my water all over Gina.

"I'm sorry." Tess and I said in unison.

"It's okay, sunshine. I've been dying to put on my new Donna Karan dress." Gina walked away with a content smile.

"How do you get such a bad ass lawyer?" Tess laughed at Gina's fabulous attitude.

"I took Liam's money and put it to use. That's Laney Cole's lawyer." I said. Tess and Khi both looked in the direction that Gina walked.

"How do you feel?" Khi sat next to me on the bench and grabbed my hand. I felt comfortable by the slightest touch from him. He didn't even know the impact he had over my mood. He just smiled into my soul like he had known me forever.

"Comfortable now." I admitted. He smiled and kissed my forehead.

"It looks like you may get away with murder, girl. When you get done with all of this, we should take a trip to Dubai." Tess said as she stared off into nowhere.

I smiled at her bright imagination. When I get done with this crap, if I'm not in prison, I'm going to move back to Jamaica. I don't need this reputation in the US.

"Would you come back to Jamaica with me?" I asked Khi. His and Tess' mouths both fell.

"Genesis, I-"

"You asshole! You're leaving me?" Tess turned to Khi in disbelief. He looked from her to me and back to her. Then he slowly looked at me.

"Genesis, I can't just give up my life here and go to another country. I worked hard to become editor of Sports Illustrated." He said in a very slow way.

In an awkward way, I didn't expect him to say yes. I can't expect him to give up his life for me. I can only dream of that.

"We can visit. I've always wanted to go to Jamaica." Tess was back to her normal self now. She was content that her best friend wasn't leaving Manhattan. Khi just stared at me.

"C'mon, sunshine. It's time." Gina popped around the corner wearing a new fancy dress. I honestly don't know why she didn't show up wearing this in the first place. Judge Padelski would have been ruled this an accident.

"Pray for me." I told Tess and Khi as I stood up and followed Gina. I walked back into the court room and the jury looked pretty confident in their answer.

I was so nervous, I'm pretty sure my makeup was glistening on my face.

"Breathe." Gina whispered to me. The judge walked back in, causing everyone to stand to their feet. I stumbled up, wobbling a little. Gina held me up with worry.

"Are you okay?" She asked once more.

"I feel woozy." I stated. She handed me the new bottle of water sitting on our desk. I gulped it down as the judge watched me with concern.

"Do you have anything to say, Mrs. Angels?"He asked. I was so nervous to say anything. I didn't want to say something wrong and ruin my chances with God.

"Yes, your honor." I spoke as I turned towards the crowd and jury. They all seemed concerned by what I might say. Khi gave me this weird look. He seemed nervous. Of course Tess sat there with a smirk. She wants me to talk foolish.

"I know I don't owe anyone an explanation for my actions. I don't even owe my lawyer an explanation, but I feel it's only right that I explain. I was in a state of mind that was not healthy for a young woman. I was broken for three years and I saw an easy way out. I have asked God to forgive me for my sinful actions and I ask you, today, to please forgive me. I want the state of New York to know that I am terribly sorry for my actions." I finally said.

The courtroom was quiet. I could hear Gina's heart beating, it was so quiet. I looked at her and she forced a smile.

I turned back to the Judge and he just stared at me over his glasses.

"Well, do we have the verdict?" Judge Padelski asked. A slender white man from the jury stood and handed the paper to the bailiff. The bailiff passed the paper to Judge Padelski.

I was so nervous that i could feel my heart beating against my chest. I knew it was only what I deserved for taking a life.

The Judge looked at the paper and looked up at me.

"Proceed." He spoke.

The same slender man stood from his seat and looked me dead in my eyes.

"The state of New York v. Genesis Angels. This jury hereby finds you..."

My vision got blurry as i could see my life flashing before my eyes. If this is my last free day, my mom would miss it. I only had myself to blame.

"Guilty of first-degree murder." He said. The entire courtroom started making noises and few were shocked. My knees got weak as I turned to Khi. He had tears streaming down his face as Tess rubbed his back. I turned away and looked at Gina. She seemed to not be able to believe this was happening. She fell down in her seat and held her head.

"How the hell?" Was all she kept repeating. Liam's limo driver was sitting to the side. Once he saw me look his way, he dropped his head in disappointment. I turned back to Judge Padelski and he banged his gavel.

"Order in the court!" He yelled. Everything was going in slow motion for me. Gina stood back up and engulfed me into her arms.

"I'm sorry." She cried. I didn't understand why she was crying. Thanks to her, everyone saw what Liam did to me.

"Genesis Angels, I sentence you to 15-20 years with the exception of defense." The judge banged his gavel and politely stood up and left. Khia ran to my side and hugged me with all his might.

"I'll still be waiting for you. I will call you every chance I get. I will-" I drained him out and tried taking in all of the information. Before I knew it, police were pulling me away from him. They put me in these tight cuffs and read me my rights.

They started pushing me towards the door, but I took one last look. The last thing I saw was the look on Khi's face. He wasn't going to wait 15-20 years for me.