Chapter 29: I Do

I ran my hands down my white dress as I watched my figure in the wall length mirror. Was I really marrying this man? The man who gave me hope?

I felt life again, with him. He's my life.

"What are you thinking about?" My mom walked into the cream colored room. She made it seem much more brighter with her smile. She was happier than me. She always wanted to see me do better. She wanted her princess to be treated as a princess.

"Look at me." I looked back at the girl staring at me. She was finally happy with something in her life. I could faintly hear Jesse Powell x You playing in the church. My mom insisted that I got dressed in the preacher's office.

"I see a woman who is ready." My mom said. I touched the pearls around my neck and smiled at the thought of Khi picking these out.

"I don't want this to end up like my last marriage. I love this man, mama. He's my heart." A small tear fell on my blushed cheeks.

"Stop crying, girl. George paid good money to get JLo's makeup artist to do your makeup." My mom said, causing me to laugh. She has always believed in going all out for anything.

On my first day of fifth grade, she made me wear all of my new clothes the first week. She didn't even believe in rewearing clothes as if she's Beyoncé. Even Beyoncé rewear her expensive ass clothes.

"How does Khi look?" I asked.

"Where did you find him? The guy is in there cleaning his nails." My mom laughed. I smiled at the thought of him getting himself handsome for me. It didn't take much to make that cute smile of his warm my heart.

Yet my mind somehow wondered to my dad. Every girl deserves her husband and dad to bond over the super bowl together. They should argue about who spends more time with me.

"I wish daddy could walk me down the aisle." I said sadly. My mom lifted my chin and brushed her hands through my hair.

"He's here even if we don't see him." She assured me.

I have George walking me down the aisle on my wedding day. He has been more of a father figure to me since my dad died. I mean he saw me every other week when Liam would beat me into a coma.

"I hate these shoes." I looked down at the silver heels my mom got from DSW. They made my ankle hurt and the strap on the ankle was so unnecessary. It wasn't like anyone could see it.

"You picked them out!" She yelled at me. I knew I was being a spoiled brat.

"Sorry." I hugged her.

"You're up in ten." The wedding planner peeped her head in my door.

"Okay." I smiled. I could now hear Celine Dion x Because You Loved Me.

"Oh this brings back memories. Your father and I had our wedding on the shores in Jamaica. He was so nervous." My mom smiled as she reminisced in her own land. "He picked At Last by Etta James. I told him it was a great pick."

I loved hearing my mom talk about my dad. I knew very little of him and I could barely remember him. My mom said that all I had to do was look in the mirror. I have his dark brown eyes, his big lips, and his long dreads. Only thing I got of hers is her skin tone. Now that I cut my dreads and grew my hair out, I look more like my mom.

"I'm ready now." I smiled. She smiled and walked me into the lobby. The only bridesmaid I had was Tess. She was all pretty in her shimmery pastel gown.

"Are you ready?" She asked.

"Girl I'm nervous. I don't know why." I held my stomach. I felt butterflies.

"Take a deep breath. You look beautiful. You're marrying a good man. It's all working out for you." She pulled me into a tight hug. She made me feel better.

My wedding song started playing. Beyoncé ft. Marc Nelson x After All is Said and Done. I instantly felt my knees shaking. I have to pee.

"Bitch! I have to pee." I whispered to Tess.

"Well bitch you better squat." And on that note she walked out with some guy that Khi knows from work. Tess is no help at all!

"You're okay." George came and took my hand. This little girl from down the hall from Khi walked down the aisle looking gorgeous. She threw the flowers carelessly as everyone was in awe by her beauty.

"Yea. I'm a grown woman now." I laughed with George. It was our time and everyone in the church stood up. I stared frantically at those strange faces. No one was familiar to me. These were all Khi's friends and family. A church full of white people.

"Uhhh, Gen? We have to move, sweetheart." George whispered to me. That's when I noticed I didn't budge from the entrance. Everyone stared at me and took pictures.

I moved my gaze from the strange faces and landed my eyes on my future husband. He looked so handsome in his suit.

"That's my husband." I smiled at him and his lips formed into a comfortable smile. I began pulling George down the aisle as my eyes stayed focused on Khi.

"Don't fuck up." George mumbled to Khi.

"Yes sir." Khi said. Once our hands connected I felt safe. For once I felt safe.

"Hey, my love." He whispered to me. I pulled him into a hug. I knew it was out of order but I love him so much.

"Stop acting like you not use to nothing and get the show started. I got to get back to work." I heard P call from the front row, causing me to laugh.

I pulled away and we turned to the preacher. I could not believe this was happening. The preacher was talking but my mind was on my soon-to-be husband.

"Genesis Blackwell." I knew he was serious. He actually said my last name for the first time. He meant business!

"I want to love and cherish you for the rest of my life. I want to make all of your fears and worries go away with my love. I want to make you the happiest woman. I love you more than life itself, and you're genuinely my heart. I love you. I can't wait to make your Mrs. Lively." He said, causing me to smile.

A small tear tried coming down as he slid the ring on.

"Khi Lively, you're my hero. You've rescued me from what seemed like an ever lasting life of sorrow. I appreciate you. I love you. I cherish your mind, heart, and body. I'm happy this day is here." A tear came down my face as I slid his ring on.

I came along so far. I never thought Liam would be out my life and I would actually be happy. I feel like the happiest girl in the world.

"I do." Khi looked at me with a sly grin.

I was so focused on me, I didn't even hear the preacher talking.

"Genesis Blackwell. Do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband? To love and to cherish through sickness and health, till death so you part?" He asked.

"I do." I smiled.

"By the power rested in me. I here by announce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride." Khi turned me to him and kissed me like we were the only people in the room. I heard faint claps and cheers but my heart was the only thing I could hear clearly. I'm afraid it's going to beat out of my chest.

"Let's go. Screw this party." He pulled me down the aisle as people clapped and cheered us on.

"Where are we going?" I laughed. We hopped in his Mercedes Benz and drove off like e didn't just leave a church full of people.

"Let's switch into our party clothes and get this wedding reception out the way. Then, I'm going to fly you out to Bora Bora." He smirked.

"I'm a ex-con. My probation isn't over yet." I squinted my eyes at him. Is this guy trying to get me sent back to prison. I can't even leave the state. Lad alone leave the country.

"Relax, Gen. I got everything under control. Consider yourself free for a week." He smiled. His smile always got me.

"Consider yourself married." I leaned on and kissed his cheek. I can't believe we're married.