I hate frogs

"Not only you failed to leave this place, you also managed to attract the attention of the most dangerous man in this place!"

"Who? Junjie?" Ling Ling brought her mind back to Junjie, his striking blue eyes danced before her eyes. Ling Ling wished she could've seen them longer.

"No, Mr. Chanchu! He's a corrupt gangster, he runs this whole town and own a couple of officials under his payroll. He could get away with anything he wants."

"You mean that disgusting frog man?" Ling Ling cringed.

"Yes! He almost swallowed you."

Ling Ling cringed some more.

Mei ushered Ling Ling back to her feet with one easy yank of her hand, and Ling Ling was surprised how easy Mei made this happen. "Wait...you're pretty strong."

Mei grinned, sharp pointed teeth lined her gums like a dangerous predator. "Yes, I am. It's all inept, I got it from my mother."

Before Ling Ling could walk away, Mei saw the bracelet on her hand, "wait, where did you get that? Who gave it to you?"

Ling Ling played with one of the beads, rolling it around in between her two fingers. "Oh, this? Some spirit name Junjie gave it to me. He said it'll protect me, but it didn't seem like it did the job properly, or else I wouldn't be running away from that frog spirit afraid of getting eaten."

"Well, those things are rare here in the spirit world so you better take care of it."

Mei sniffed Ling Ling like a dog.

Ling Ling scooted back uncomfortable. "What're you doing?"

"I'm trying to see if you still stink!"

"I'm sorry, I've been running for my life since this morning, forgive me if I reeked in my own sweat."

"No, nothing like that. You don't smell like a human anymore."

So, how does a human smell anyway? Ling Ling thought. A steak?

"We best get out of here before we get spotted, I know a place where I can hide you."

Ling Ling raised an eyebrow. "So, you'll help me?"

Mei loosened an annoyed breath. "I may as well since I can't let my guilt get to me if I let you die."

Ling Ling threw her arms around the child spirit and smothered her with her bosoms. "Thank you! Now I can go home."

Ling Ling still had her arms wrapped around Mei when they were spotted. Mr. Chanchu had sent some of his goons to chase after her. Two ugly looking men, they  might've been ogres or something  but Ling Ling couldn't  tell for sure.

Ling Ling and Mei began to run when a man very familiar to her came from the other side of the streets and swoop her from under her legs.

This time, it wasn't a stranger, he had been someone she knew and didn't mind his hands touching her.

"Bolin!" She gasped. "H-how?"

"Hush, Ling Ling. Just run with me." He said. "I got to get you out of here and into somewhere safe."

Bolin put Ling Ling back down on the pavement and made her run with him.