sixteen

"Mom, I'd like to get a cat", I say, as I sit down at the table next to her.

She pours me a cup of coffee before looking back at me with an eyebrow raised. She has a little smile on her lips.

"Where does that sudden idea come from? I thought you didn't like having pets?", she questions, while I bite in my toast.

"Well, I like cats and they seem pretty easy to take care of", I answer, "And I feel lonely sometimes. And the neighbors cat came over yesterday and I kind of fell in love with her."

"I don't think we can have a cat, Violet. We don't have the time to take care of a cat and we don't exactly have the money for the cat itself and it's further care", Mom explains.

I nod understandingly. We never have enough money for certain things. I always wanted a nicer backpack for school than the one I have but others are too expensive. I can't go shopping at Urban Outfitters or Zara. I can shop at Forever 21 and H&M. There's always been quite big differences between my friends and I. While they all have the new iPhone X, I'm still on my iPhone 6 but I won't complain. There are people who don't have any of our luxurious life. They have to fight for food and living. I'm extremely grateful that I've been born into my family in America.

"Don't be too sad. Maybe one day you can get a cat on your own", Mom smiles, biting off of her toast.

I nod and finish up my breakfast before cleaning up my place and going upstairs to get dressed. I don't feel like doing my makeup today or wearing anything too nice. It's just a chill day in school anyway. I could wear some comfortable clothes and my hair up in a bun to look at least half decent. I quickly pull a pair of jeans out of my closet. I also take an easy t-shirt and a bralette. I don't feel like dressing up today. It's just a normal school day anyway. I just have band practice after classes. I have to drag my bass around with me the whole day, my locker is too small to fit it. I could look for Mr Fitz and ask him, if I can put it in the auditorium until practice. I quickly get changed into my clothes and put my hair up in a messy bun. Wesley knocks on the bathroom door soon enough, as I brush my teeth. I open the door, revealing him with only a pair of jeans on. I let him in and spit out my toothpaste. I finish up with my skin care. Before I leave the bathroom, I turn around to as Wesley a question.

"You can take me to school today, can't you?", I ask.

He nods with his toothbrush in his mouth. I thank him and move back to my bedroom to pack my school bag and pack up my bass. I also put a scarf around my neck, feeling like I need to cover up my bruises. I'm really uncomfortable. Wesley already waits downstairs with his bag on his shoulders. I follow him to his car. I connect my phone with the radio of the car and put on some music.

"Do you have some Lil Xan on your phone?", Wes asks, as he pulls out of the driveway.

I immediately turn on "Betrayed" by Lil Xan. It's currently one of my favorite songs. I just don't know why but I really like it. Wesley likes Lil Xan for way longer than me but we kind of share different favorite artists. He usually shows me new music. I still prefer the classics and the music I found myself a while back. Of course I listen to the new albums of my favorite artists but I usually like to stick with my known and loved artists. Wesley turns into Lilian and Jake's street. They usually take turns who drives them to school. I only get to drive to school with Wesley when it's his turn. Wes stops in front of their house, honking not once but three times. I glare at him before looking back at the front door. He's a little extra sometimes. Soon enough two teenagers come stumbling out the door, down the porch steps and towards our car.

"Can you sit in the back?", Wes asks me.

"No", I say simply.

Just because we're picking up his friends, I don't have to sit in the back. After all, this is my Mom's car and he just uses it and I have the same rights in here. He's just a year older than me, so he has no privileges over me. Lilian and Jake get in in the back, greeting us.