twenty-two

I press send on the last e-mail I have to send tonight. Mr Melroy was the last person I had to send an e-mail. Surprisingly, I got my History paper done and send it away and I even finished my AP Senior Physics homework for Friday. I'm done with everything. I throw myself on my bed and close my eyes for a few seconds before someone comes barging into my room. I jump from my half-dreaming state, thinking something is wrong. My eyes meet Wesley's. He stares at me intensely.

"How do you ask a girl to go to Homecoming with you?", he asks.

"You just came in here to ask me that? Are you serious? I was about to fall asleep", I groan.

"No, seriously, I have to beat someone in asking Lilian. She likes stuffies and animals, help me", he whines.

"Chill out, give me a second to think, dude. If she likes you, she'll say no to the other guy", I mumble.

"Faster, Violet! I need to ask her as soon as possible."

I stand up and go to my laptop.

"I have a stuffed animal bear in my closet. Tobias gave it to me but it doesn't mean anything to me. Take it. I'll make a sign for you. I want you to drive to her house as soon as possible", I explain.

I just hear Wesley go down into my closet while I type "Homecoming proposal bear" and search for a cute pun. I find one soon enough and take a piece of larger and thicker paper and trace the pun out with my pen.

'I'd be BEARy happy, if you went to Homecoming with me :)'

I laugh a little at myself for taking such a stupid pun but it's the best I could find and it's the thought that counts in the end. Wesley finds the bear soon, making me look at it. It really has no emotional connection with me. I don't need it and what doesn't a sister do to make her brother get the girl he wants? I hand him the small poster board.

"Thank you, Vio. How can I ever repay you?", he asks, being a little dramatic and wiping away fake tears.

"By leaving my room and asking Lilian to go to Homecoming with you", I answer, closing the tabs on my laptop and sending him out of my room.

I hear the door open and shut downstairs. Mom's got the late shift tonight, so I'm alone now, great. That's just what I needed, being left alone with my thoughts in an empty house. Maybe I could play some guitar and sing. I stand up from my desk, taking my acoustic guitar. I strum it a few times before playing some random chords. Soon enough I just play "Wonderwall" by Oasis. I start off with the first Verse and feel emotions well up inside of me.

"Backbeat, the word was on the street, that the fire in your heart is out. I'm sure you've heard it all before but you never really had a doubt. I don't believe that anybody feels the way I do about you now", I sing with a small smile on my face, even though I don't feel like smiling.

Maybe it's just the irony of Wesley asking out his best friends sister and not letting Niall do the same with me. But Niall and I both talked about it and accepted that we'll never be a thing. We'll only be friends. I mean, that's what I want, right?

"I need to play something else", I say to myself, immediately stopping the song I'm currently playing.

I just stare at the wall for a little while and discuss whether or not I should just go to bed or play another song. I decide to play one Verse and then go to bed, so I get enough rest until tomorrow.

"I was scared of dentists and the dark. I am scared of petty guys and starting relationships. Oh, all my friends are turning green. You're the magician's assistant in their dreams", I change the lyrics a bit, making me chuckle after the lyric change.