Chapter One

[Chapter One: Wristbands]

          It was a good day, it was her second day back at Hogwarts and Aspen was content—all of her summer work was ready to be handed in and she was even a few minutes early to breakfast. Naturally. It was also her last year at Hogwarts, normally a factor that'd lead to several mental breakdowns in a row. It was her N.E.W.T exam year after all, but the severity of the fact hadn't struck her yet.

     According to Professor McGonagall, she had been doing great in her studies to become an Auror; her dream job. If she passed her N.E.W.Ts, she would be able to start her Auror training once her schooling at Hogwarts ended. That is why Aspen was allowing herself to drift free before her classes started that morning. Drifting free—also known as snacking on all of her favorite treats for breakfast.

     "Eating ice cream and drinking coffee with six packets of sugar? What a healthy breakfast." Criticized Aspen's best friend Wendy, sarcasm lacing her voice. The two sat at the Gryffindor table in the great hall, munching on the various foods sitting in front of them that fine morning.

     Wendy was a sweet girl, Aspen had met her in her second year when the brown-haired, brown-eyed girl had entered her compartment. She always looked out for her friends, even Aspen who purposely withheld her feelings. She was also very . . . innocent. Everything was sugarcoated for her most of her life, she reminded Aspen of a puppy. Though if angered, Wendy Collins, the seventh year Gryffindor puppy, can and will bite.

     "It may not be healthy, but it sure does taste good." Aspen responded, taking a bite of her multi-colored ice cream, it was an assortment of sweet and salty flavors. Like peanuts and lollipops mixed together.

     "Don't you think it would be . . . better if you ate something more filling? Like eggs and toast or something?" Wendy asked, watching her best friend take a large gulp of her sugared-down coffee. Wendy was also a 'mum friend.'

     "'Or something' I'm good with this." Replied Aspen. Normally Wendy would be doing that kind of stuff with their other friend Evelyn, as Aspen always ate healthily— trying to stay in shape for the Auror program (if she were to ever be accepted). But as stated earlier, Aspen was taking a cheat day. The only cheat day she'd be taking that year.

     "Okay, but if you die of a heart attack at age seventeen, don't say I didn't warn you." Her overdramatic friend warned, filling her own plate with a biscuit and a few pieces of bacon.

      "Don't worry, if I die of a heart attack I won't be able to say anything." Aspen retorted, taking another bite of her ice cream. Her friend shook her head and began eating her own breakfast.

     It was a few hours before classes started, meaning the great hall barely had any people in it. Wendy and Aspen happened to be the only Gryffindors there—excluding the head girl and boy. Aspen had hoped to become the head girl that year, as it would've gone wonderfully on her resume, but the Headmaster seemed to have different plans as he paired up Lily Evans, the queen-bee of Hogwarts, and James Potter, one-fourth of the notorious troublemakers of the school. How did James Potter become head boy? No one could figure out how. Aspen assumed the title would go to Remus Lupin, a boy she may or may not have been crushing on since the third year.