Chapter Thirty-One

[Chapter Thirty-One: Wristbands]

      It was two days before winter break, and four days before the winter ball. All the girls had dates—well at least Aspen, Wendy, Lily, and Marlene did. Wendy and Lily, of course, accepted to be the dates of their boyfriends Remus and James. Aspen asked Sirius, and Marlene, in her words, 'grew some balls' and asked out a Hufflepuff by the name of Kat Jones.

         Seeing as they all had dates now, they actually needed dresses to wear. However, Marlene being the oddball she was, bought a suit for herself—in which her date would wear one the opposite color, white. The girls had nothing against it, it was just a surprise when Marlene told them seeing as ever since the ball was announcedMarlene was raving about getting a beautiful gown.

"Guys, what if he doesn't like my dress?" Wendy asked, biting her unpainted left-hand nails as Marlene painted the right hand. "No . . . no, Remmy isn't like that, he'll like me in any dress, and if he doesn't then boohoo for him!"

"You go, Wendy!" Aspen heard Lily cheer from the washroom of her dorm. They were all painting their nails a similar black color before they went dress shopping. It was the only color each of them had, surprisingly. Plus, black went with everything.

"Do you think that Coraline's Dress Shop will have tuxedos for women?" Marlene asked no one specifically. "Or will it just be dresses? Wait, will anywhere have tuxedoes for women?"

"They might have it," Aspen spoke, her voice low as she blew on her drying fingernails. "If not, you could just wear a men's tuxedo but in an extra small or something. Peter might know of a perfect size for you."

"You're right!" Marlene said with a bright smile. "Peter is great with fashion! Plus, he's small and pudgy like me. Maybe I can just take one of his tuxedos."

"You probably want to get a new one," Lily said, popping her head out of the bathroom. She held a hair curler in her hand and had a scrunchie wrapped around her wrist like a wristband.  "No offense to Peter, but he smells like an actual sewer rat. Even with his clothes washed with the finest soaps, they always smell the samesometimes even worse. Trust me, I've tried."

Aspen scrunched up her nose as she stood up, going to grab a hair brush, the sun was shrining brightly that morning which layered Hogwarts with a sense of warmth, however, if you went in the shade—you'd freeze every hair off your body. Aspen decided to wear a thin pair of jeans that day, as well as a long-sleeved turtle neck. She wore an assortment of wristbands on her arms, despite the tight turtle neck around her arms.

       "How are you wearing that?" Wendy asked once Aspen sat beside them again. Wendy was wearing high-waisted denim shorts with a crop-top that wasn't permitted on Hogwarts grounds. Once the girl felt heat also known as a degree out of the negatives she had pulled out her summer wardrobe