Chapter Fifty-Four

[Wristbands: Chapter Fifty-Four]

As Aspen was prepped for the c-section, she was freaking out. She wasn't ready at all. They didn't have any supplies, nor did they even know a name for their child. Sirius must've also been freaking out as well because he had to leave the room—James, Remus, and Peter followed him out in a hurry. Lily and Wendy stayed with the girl, Effie and Flea spoke with a nurse who explained the procedure to them.

       "Aspen, you're going to be okay," Wendy reassured, though her face showed indifferently with worry. "my mum had a c-section for me. All they do is numb you up and then get the baby out, you won't feel a thing."

       "I'm not worried about being cut open!" Aspen shrieked, "I'm worried about after, I'm not ready! We have no supplies, no flat, no name, nothing. Plus the baby is coming premature, what if it doesn't survive?"

       "The doctors are going to do everything they can," Lily reassured, "plus, it's a Lee-Black baby hybrid! It can survive anything. And if we all vote yes for the flat we were just at, we'll get it, surprisingly it's in our price range. And you guys can think of a name after, I'm sure both of you have thought of something. The hospital will provide supplies, the baby will surely be placed in a NICU, while it's there we can all get more stuff. Aspen, you'll be okay. We're all here for you."

      Aspen nodded and kept repeating 'I'll be okay' in her mind. It was a few more minutes before three nurses came in and went to her bed, they put up the side bars and then began rolling her out of the room. Her friends followed, holding her hands as they went. Once they were outside the boys all turned and ran over, Sirius wiped tears off of his face and smiled reassuringly at his girlfriend. He was wearing hospital gear—he was going to be with her in the OR as she got the c-section. That kind of helped her nerves. But at the same time, she didn't want her boyfriend seeing her get cup open like a slab of meat on a cushioned butchers table.

      As Aspen was being rolled, the rest of the family had to be left behind. They yelled their good lucks, and she tried to control her breathing. It was a blur as they began to prep her, next thing she knew she was being numbed with a ginormous needle as there were things blocking her view from her stomach. Sirius sat beside her, not daring to look past the small wall. He needed to be strong for Aspen, he couldn't risk fainting. He held her hand and she squeezed his, she felt no pain but the sounds of herself being cut open caused her to flinch constantly. It was like you were stirring a bowl of mac n' cheese, but instead, the doctors were putting their hands and equipment inside her in order to cut out her premature baby.

      "You're doing great, Aspen," a nurse said, "we're almost there, okay? If all goes well, you should be hearing a cry shortly."

       "If all goes well," Aspen repeated in a mumble, closing her eyes as she squeezed her boyfriends hand once more. "how reassuring."