Chapter Fourteen

[Chapter Fourteen: Wristbands]

               Telling Dumbledore her final decision was surprisingly easy. A few days after he told them to think over what they wanted to choose, they all went back to his office together as a group to tell their headmaster what they chose. Dumbledore looked relieved when he heard what the girl chose, while everyone else seemed surprised—besides Sirius, who was proud of himself for keeping her secret for so long.

She chose the Order, they all chose the Ordwe. They were actually thrilled with her decision, that meant they'd be able to work together. Sirius was ecstatic with her decision. Yes, he already knew what she was going to choose but actually being able to witness her tell it to Dumbledore made him feel relieved.

She didn't second-guess herself!

Aspen was ecstatic, she didn't feel like she thought she would've felt. She assumed that if she said yes to the Order, she'd feel guilty, but instead, she felt pure delight. More like excitement for her first mission, Dumbledore said he'd start sending the group on their missions around the beginning of classes of the next year after Christmas break. They were all excited, their happiness radiating on Hogwarts population. The Marauders were more active with their pranks, causing the school's population to laugh and be in good moods despite the troubles the world faced outside of school. Aspen was even hanging around her friends more, volunteering to get out of bed rather than being forced out by douses of ice water.

With Aspen's slight personality change came other changes as well. Wendy and Aspen were inseparable from the hip, Evelyn, on the other hand, isolated herself like how Aspen would before her life-changing decision. She was also spacey and sent glares at Aspen when she wasn't looking. Wendy noticed those glares, Aspen did not. Wendy didn't want to say anything because as of this moment, everything was peaceful for their normally troubleminded friend.

Of course, the two girls knew of Aspen's new job, and they had been sworn to secrecy by Dumbledore only a few days before. Same with everyone who joined the Order, including Peter Pettigrew, who the rest of the Marauders had made join as well. In Aspen's opinion, she believed Peter to not be reliable with such a job. Yes, he was a magnificent student and a really kind boy, but that was the problem. Kindness can make you weak in some aspects, just the other day she watched him get slapped about three times by a Slytherin girl. Aspen may have been mentally incapable of almost everything, but she'd never allow a Slytherin to hit her—especially not three times.

He didn't do anything, didn't hex her, nothing. He only apologized for nothing and the girl scoffed as she strutted away. If the other boys were with him, that girl would've surely had bat bogeys flying out of her nose. The only reason why Aspen didn't intervene was that she wanted to see how the boy would handle it.