Chapter 1

We used to run around this ghost town
Always thinking out loud
Are we gonna get out
I remember
We dream of places that we could go
Castles with the strange glow
People that we don't know
I remember  

-Stranger Things by Kygo ft. OneRepublic

*****

DELILAH

I slammed my alarm clock, pressing the snooze button constantly.

"Ugh, it won't shut up," I groaned, taking the pillow and placing it over my face.

If there was one thing that I hated, it was that alarm. Worst. Sound. Ever. However, as my eyes adjusted to the natural sunlight coming in through the window and I looked at the time, I remember the day that it was.

My last day here.

A smile formed on my lips.

"What are you smiling about, pretty lady?"

Caleb pulled me close to him, placing a kiss on my cheek. For six months we'd been together, living life to the fullest. Now, came our next big step; going back to my hometown. A place to which I thought I'd never return but that lately, after five years, I found myself feeling the need to go back.

Thankfully, I had Caleb now, offering me what he could of his support. He'd been there for me when I told him I had a son and surprisingly, was encouraging enough to follow me so that I could get to know him.

Crazy, right?

I had a seven year old son that I didn't know. Granted, it was my own fault that I didn't know him. I didn't blame anyone else for my decisions. Up until a few months ago, I didn't feel the need to know him, as disturbing at that may seem. Suddenly, it was as if a new need sprung within me. I now craved to know the child I'd birthed, the child that I had so easily left when I was nineteen years old.

I am the queen of immaturity, so I can't say that I'd be a good mother or that I had made much progress from that age. But after all these years and a decent education later, I felt that I at least had the potential to be a good mother, or perhaps a friend to that child. It's not that I didn't care for him, it would be inhuman of me not to care for a living soul.

I hadn't been ready at the time.

"Are you sure you want to come along?" I asked Caleb, who'd begun changing.

"Sure, babe," he replied with a shrug. "You know that I like going new places. I want to know where you used to live and all that girlfriend shit."

I rolled my eyes. Caleb wasn't much of a boyfriend material if at all. But he was a decent guy. We had fun together and that was all I needed. Putting myself through college on my own was a bit difficult yet I had managed. I met Caleb there, though he dropped out just before finishing up. Frankly, I didn't care. I knew that he struggled anyways and college just wasn't suited for him.

I didn't go to college to get my Bachelor's or my Associate's degree even, I went because I wanted to be a cosmetologist. Thanks to a wonderful teacher who helped me get in, I obtained my license and was going to put it to good use.

After breakfast and some packing later, I was ready to go.

Whatever awaited me, I was ready to face it.

*****

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina was the place where I was born and raised. It was also the place that I had run away from years back. It felt strange to be back yet ironically, now it felt like I was home. We arrived at the hotel we would be staying in for a few days while we found a place to stay and got settled in. Caleb, as always, just made himself at home while I organized what I could.