Chapter 5

DELILAH

DELILAH

I sat in the living room of my former house with Adrian as he showed me the latest LEGO toy he'd built. He was beaming with pride at his accomplishment and I couldn't help but feel proud as well.

"I have another one we can build together!" Adrian said getting up. Liam looked at us from the kitchen.

"You should ask your dad," I told Adrian. Liam raised an eyebrow, clearly surprised that I had even considered what he thought. Adrian went over to his dad and asked him and after a positive response, ran to his bedroom to get said toy.

"You didn't have to tell him to ask me," Liam said with annoyance.

"I'm not sure what I can or can't do without letting you know so..."

Liam scoffed, shaking his head. "It's not rocket science, Delilah. Just don't run off with him."

"You don't have to be such a dick," I muttered.

"Oh, that's not a good word," Adrian's voice came from behind me.

Shit.

I saw the way Liam was staring at me with disapproval. I sighed, standing up and straightening out the skirt I was wearing. I needed to fix my past mistakes but apparently I was already making new ones.

"Sorry, Adrian. Don't say that. I won't say it either."

Adrian nodded satisfied but Liam's harsh glare was still set on me. I sat down on the floor with Adrian who with excitement, opened up the box of LEGO's. This one was a firetruck that we were going to build and we did, for the next half hour. Liam pretty much stood glued to his spot, only observing our interaction.

His scrutinizing gaze intimidated me but I couldn't bring myself to say anything. What could I say?

I heard a car pull up, and both Liam and I turned to the door. I'd be meeting the woman who took care of my son and the woman that Liam was now dating. He walked out, I'm sure to warn her that I was there and I waited patiently.

"She's nice," said Adrian.

"Hm?"

"Carissa. She's very nice," Adrian repeated. "She won't be mean to you. I know daddy is a little bit mad, but she won't be."

My eyebrows furrowed. How was he so observant? "You know your dad is mad at me?"

Adrian scrunched up his little nose, "Yes. Everyone knows."

"Do you know why he's mad at me?"

"Because you came back," he replied as if it was the most obvious answer. "I don't think he thought you were coming back and he's just surprised. It was very surprising," he said with a smile. "But I'm happy you're here."

"You are?"

An unavoidable smile formed on my face. They say that drunk people and children always tell the truth and hearing his words and watching the way his eyes sparkled as he looked at me made everything better. The door opened without giving him a chance to reply. I stood up and saw how Adrian ran up to the woman standing next to Liam. He hugged her and she knelt down, embracing him.