Chapter 48

If I could be with you tonight
I would sing you to sleep
Never let them take the light behind your eyes
I'll fail and lose this fight
Never fade in the dark
Just remember you will always burn as bright  

-The Light Behind Your Eyes by My Chemical Romance

DELILAH

When I woke up it was still dark. I heard whispers and it took me moment to recognize it was my parents talking about something. I felt different, strange though I couldn't really describe it. The memories of what happened were there; faint but real and painful.

"Mom?" My throat was dry and it hurt to speak.

Everything hurt.

"Right here, darling," she replied. I sat up with her help, happy that at least for a moment the constant dull ache in my back had disappeared. She gave me a glass of water and my gaze traveled to the figure sleeping on the sofa in the bedroom.

"He's been sleeping for a couple hours," my dad said with a small smile. "He didn't want to wake you."

I nodded. He must have been feeling terrible as well.

"Can we spend the rest of the night here?" My mom asked, running her fingers through my hair. "In case you need something, to help out with Adrian."

I nodded absentmindedly, still looking at Liam's form. "I'll help set up the other room."

"Oh no, dear, you need to rest," my mom said. "We can handle it just fine."

"Do you want to wake him?" My dad asked.

"Please," I whispered.

He looked uncomfortable in the sofa and I felt bad for neglecting his pain and hurt. I'd been so consumed in my own grief that I hadn't paid attention to his. I smiled when Liam looked over at me with concern. He sighed, relief covering his face when he realized that I was okay. After a few words with my parents, they exited the bedroom leaving Liam and I alone.

He undressed down to his boxers and laid down next to me, both of us on our sides facing each other. There was so much to say, yet I only managed to whisper, "I love you."

Liam moved a strand of hair from my face which I'm sure looked like a mess; tear stained and probably my eyes swollen.

"I look like shit, don't I?"

"You look breathtakingly beautiful," he murmured.

"Oh don't do that," I teased in a quiet voice. "You know I look crappy."

Liam wrinkled his nose, "You're the most most beautiful crappy looking person I've seen."

Despite the night we'd had, I giggled softly and finally got closer to him, letting him hold me. My eyes closed, my body relaxing in his hold in an instant.