Chapter 9

I can't seem to find the pretty little face I left behind
Wandered out on the open road
Looking for a better place to call home
Gave her a place to stay and she got up and ran away
Well now I've had enough
Her pretty little face has torn me up  

-Hands All Over by Maroon 5

*****

DELILAH

I thought Liam would pull away. Instead, while still touching me, he asked Carissa to bring an ice pack for me. He couldn't see her expression, full of anger and jealousy but I could.

She wasn't hiding it and probably wouldn't have been able to if she tried.

I removed the sweater I still had on to let Liam see the bruises on my arms. With my light complexion they weren't hard to miss. His fingers ran over the marks carefully, afraid that even his touch may hurt me.

My eyes filled with tears. So many comparisons could be done at the moment between the only two men I'd had a relationship with. One was lazy, the other hard working. One didn't really show this much attentiveness to me, even when sick, and here Liam was with a pained look at the damage the other had done.

"Is this all he did or-"

I could see the battle Liam faced. He was furious. "He kind of slammed my head against the wall," I said, unconsciously bringing my hand to the bump. Liam followed, placing his hand at the back of my head tenderly.

It was then that I wasn't able to stop the tears from falling. I covered my mouth with my hand yet the sob was still audible. Rarely did I cry, but I was so overwhelmed with emotion that I couldn't help myself.

Just as Liam sat next to me, pulling me into his chest, Carissa walked back in with the ice pack. My eyes were closed and my face was buried into Liam's chest and even then, I could feel her harsh stare digging daggers onto my back. He tensed his arms around me, as if letting me go would break him too.

"What happened?" Carissa asked, sitting on the sofa next to us.

"Can I tell her?" Liam murmured.

I nodded as he told her the few details that he knew. Carissa placed a consoling hand over my shoulder, an action that was as surprising as it was sweet.

We all heard Adrian's footsteps making their way towards us so I wiped my tears. Though, knowing him, Adrian would pick up on something being wrong pretty quick.

"I'm done! Lilah I'm ready for- Oh, why are you crying?" Adrian ran to my side, plopping himself on the sofa while placing his small hand on my arm. "What's wrong?"

"She's okay, bud," said Carissa who was the only composed one. Liam looked like he was about to explode. "Delilah is just a little stressed."

Adrian leaned into me, also wrapping his arms around me. "I don't think that's it," he said.

I smiled. Adrian was much more observant than they gave him credit for. He was mature beyond his seven years of age, something they really didn't notice.

"Do you want to spend the night?" Adrian suddenly asked.

My eyes widened at his suggestion. There was nothing I wanted more than their company, his company but I knew that I couldn't have it.

"I don't think-" Carissa began.

"Actually," Liam interrupted, "I think that's a good idea."

I didn't miss the hard glare from Carissa to my ex. "I don't think that's a good idea, babe," she said.