Chapter 36

Take a look in the mirror, and what do you see?

Do you see it clearer or are you deceived, in what you believe?

-Human by Rag'n'Bone Man

DELILAH

I always wanted to visit Seattle, Washington. Of course, a big part of it was because it was the setting of Grey's Anatomy but another was because I just wanted to travel.

However, visiting due to the death of Marcus Anderson was never in my plans. I never thought I'd see Liam's family again, not after the fall out between them when they knew I was pregnant. I understood that they didn't like me, but the fact that they turned their back on Liam, their only son. always bothered me. 

We got into the car we'd rented still in silence, Liam barely speaking since the night before. I knew this was hard for him. There was no way this was easy to process, especially considering that he would never have the opportunity to mend the relationship with his dad. They had been close, at least until I came along. Guilt wanted to make its ugly appearance, saying that it was my fault. I reminded myself it wasn't true; I never did anything to them.

Part of me wished that the drive to his mother's house would have been longer. I was nervous to see her and for her to meet Adrian... And I couldn't really worry about myself, not when Liam wasn't okay. 

We had agreed on staying at a hotel no matter if his family offered a place for us to stay. We didn't want any uncomfortable situations in front of Adrian. 

I squeezed Liam's hand as we pulled up to the large house, very different from Liam's simpler, less ostentatious tastes. I heard him curse under his breath, obviously not looking forward to seeing them once again. 

There was several cars parked in front of the residence, barely allowing for any room. 

"You stay with us at all times, Adrian. Do you understand?" Liam asked, looking through the rear view mirror.

"I understand, dad." 

This had all been particularly hard on Adrian who wasn't used to seeing Liam under these conditions; so serious and heartbroken. He was a man that always was in control, that always could keep his emotions in check. At the moment though, it seemed like anger was the only thing that reigned. That, and pain. 

I gave Liam a small smile as we walked up to the house, dreading every step but standing firmly by his side. Adrian was mesmerized by the size of the house, the pure white and intricate detail proved astounding to our seven year old.

He knocked on the door and it opened almost immediately, revealing a short woman with long brown hair. "Liam," she breathed. "Oh dear God, how you've changed."

"Aunt Soph," he greeted her forcing a smile. "Well, I haven't seen you in years so I suppose I have changed."

The woman's gaze softened on Liam, placing a hand on his shoulder. "It's good to see you, son."