Chapter 38

Hey sister, do you still believe in love, I wonder?

-Hey Brother by Avicii

DELILAH

No.

Yes.

Whatever you want.

Sure.

Yup.

Nope. 

Shrugs.

Apparently, Liam now firmly believed in a single word communication system, one that I had not been aware would be implemented. The only thing worse than someone ignoring you, is that person practically being forced into talking to you. That's exactly what communicating with Liam felt like. 

Two weeks had gone by since his father's death and we were back in South Carolina trying to go back to our normal lives. Except there was no normal anymore, and it didn't look like we would go back to it any time soon. 

Liam's appetite was nonexistent as was mine, and Adrian tried not to notice that anything was going on but he knew, he was a smart kid. Too smart to not notice the differences in his father's behavior. 

No more happy bedtime stories with him, no more happy helping with homework. Liam was just... there. Went to work, came back, played around with the food on the dinner table and went to bed. He didn't really sleep, we didn't have sex, barely even talked... he didn't hold me and when I hugged him, it was as if I was hugging a wall. I didn't blame him, but I knew things would blow over soon and I didn't know if I'd be ready for it. 

Small traces of the regular, sweet and thoughtful Liam were still there, though. He'd picked me up for lunch, and we went over to the small restaurant at the pier to eat. We'd eaten in silence for the most part, other than a few questions about how our day had been going. Other than that, everything was tense. 

Once in the car, I turned on the radio, unable to bear the silence anymore. Liam raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything, instead looking through his phone as if I wasn't even there.

"You know I'm here, right?" I asked, placing a hand over his arm. 

Liam snorted, shaking his head. "I suppose you are now."

"Okay, then." I mumbled. "I'm only trying to help."

He raised an eyebrow, pulling out and driving me to the salon. Not knowing what else to say or how to help him, I remained silent. I ached to hug him, offer him some comfort but it was clear he didn't want it.

"I'll see you at home?" I asked him.

"Yeah."

I leaned in for a kiss, he didn't turn his face towards me. "Liam," I murmured. "Please."