Chapter 62

Open up my heart and have your way

I'm sinking in my thoughts so pull me from the waves

My head's above the water; you're my sweet escape

I need you just so I can breathe

-Breathe by La'Porsha Renae

DELILAH

"Is this what you've always wanted?" I asked Liam as we lied down on the grass looking at the stars. 

"This?" 

"Yes, this sappy little tale of being out in the night, looking at the stars with the woman you love," I teased, feeling his hand run down my belly. It was Liam's birthday and though we'd spent the day with our family and friends, the night was for us, and this is how he decided he wanted to spend it.

"Not exactly," he chuckled softly. "But I know I've always wanted you by my side. Didn't matter if it was out living under a bridge, or maybe in a mansion. All I knew was that I needed you."

I glanced up and he smiled, kissing my forehead. My heart swelled with love, so much love for the man lying next to me. He adored me as I did him; we were always meant to be.

"If I were to die today, I'd die happy," he murmured. I began shaking my head, refusing to hear any of that talk but he stopped me, giving me a small smile. 

"I thought I was happy without you, Lilah... For the longest time I thought I was fine with your absence." He ran his hand down my face, resting it over my seven month bump. "I thought I could live without you. It wasn't living, it was only going through the motions. Now that you've returned I can see it clearly. So yeah, maybe it's sappy shit," he chuckled, "But this is what I've always wanted. You're what I've always wanted."

I rolled my eyes, pushing away the tears that threatened to leave my eyes.

"Oh, those hormones," he said, nuzzling my neck. 

"Would you change anything?" I ran my fingers through his hair, smiling at the thought that he needed a haircut. 

"About our past?" 

"Yeah. Like, would you change me leaving? Would you change how our relationship began when I came back?"

"Not a single thing," he murmured without hesitation.

"Really?"

"Yeah, really. We wouldn't be together right now if things had been different. This was how it was supposed to be. Challenging, difficult. Nothing worth it is ever easy."