Chapter 27

DELILAH

DELILAH

I wasn't too sure about leaving Jo with Adrian. I wasn't sure about leaving Adrian at all. But apparently, Liam had gone out of his way planning the weekend and I didn't want him to cancel any of our plans. Adrian would be at the salon with Jo and after insisting, she agreed with Chris picking them up. I was terrified Caleb would find them and notice that we weren't around, possibly taking advantage of the situation. 

"Go already," said Jo for the thousandth time. Liam took my hand in his, pulling me towards the door. 

"Be good, Adrian," I yelled. 

"Yes, mom," he said with a mischievous smile. Oh, Jo was in for a surprise. 

I let Liam guide me over to his car and we took off. With the music playing and the windows down, there was no tension between us. In fact, the environment around us was so relaxed that it felt like our younger days, our first road trip together to be exact. And when I started paying close attention to the road we were traveling on, I realized that they were familiar.

"Liam... where are we going?"

"You can't tell me you don't remember," Liam said with a smirk. 

Of course I remembered. We were heading out of South Carolina from what I could see, going up north, to the neighboring state. My lips parted in a sharp gasp when I realized where we were going. 

"Biltmore Estate?" I asked with a genuine smile on my face.

Liam nodded, clearly proud at the surprise in my face. It was going to be over four hours on the road but I couldn't contain my excitement. The place was beautiful, like a castle and I had fallen in love from the minute we had arrived years before. It was our last outing before we found out I was pregnant and it had been so much fun. 

Though I was fond of the memories, I was eager to make new ones. 

When Liam took my hand in his while he drove, I couldn't help but travel back to those days when our lives were simpler, easier.

I admired the ease with which Liam maneuvered the car. He did it with so little worry that it seemed he'd been doing it since he was a child. I, on the other hand, was a danger on the road. 

"I hate you," I muttered. 

Liam frowned. "What did I do now?"

"Nothing. But you're a better driver than I am," I complained. He took my hand in his and squeezed it.

"Good thing I do most of the driving then, right?"

In our almost year long relationship we had barely fought. Both of us were happy; we were lovers and best friends and though young, I could picture the rest of my life with him. My first time was with him, and ever since then we'd forged a strong connection. He was a part of me, and I was a part of him.