Chapter 39

And though there are times when I hate you 'cause I can't erase
The times that you hurt me and put tears on my face
And even now while I hate you, it pains me to say
I know I'll be there at the end of the day

-Broken Hearted Girl by Beyonce

DELILAH

The blood rushed to my ears as the world spun and spun and spun.

I didn't know which to fight off first: the dizziness or the nausea.

Neither of them won. Instead, a pitiful sob left my lips, breaking the spell Liam was under. The regret in his eyes increased a thousand fold when he saw me crying, but he didn't make an attempt of hugging or consoling me. He sat there, looking at me, his expression strained.

The world was crumbling underneath my feet, the solid groud I had been standing on just a measly sheet of paper.

"Liam, p-please... Please answer me," I cried. I never thought I'd beg, never thought I'd break like this. And yet there I was, pathetically heartbroken, begging for him to tell me that he hadn't cheated on me with the same woman he'd left behind months ago.

"I've been tying to help you," I continued. "I've tried everything and you don't talk to me, you don't listen. What did I do wrong?"

Liam only stared.

"No," I sobbed.

Karma is a bitch.

I let myself fall to the floor, my knees up to my chest as I continued crying. My mind was on overrun, my heart felt like it was in pieces. This is what she'd felt, I realized. When Liam broke up with her, this was exactly what Carissa had felt. The same ache, the same piercing pain through the chest.

Time passed. Only my sobs in the midst of the silence could be heard. I cried so hard my chest hurt. Not just because of Liam, but because in a way, this had been the ultimate form of rejection. He didn't kiss me in weeks, could hardly have a conversation with me... And yet with Carissa he...

The door slammed shut.

Liam was gone.

I picked myself up off the floor and finally, let myself be sick. I threw up once again as the sickness came back more intense than ever. It was all too much, the sadness, the grief...

The pregnancy.

I didn't need another pregnancy test to confirm it. I'd been fighting the nausea all day and my period never arrived after the first time I'd been sick. My hand went to my belly and I sobbed even more. I was probably a good six, seven weeks pregnant, and it was breaking my heart.

Not because I was scared, God, I was happy, so very happy... at first. But now I didn't want to feel.

I didn't want to know where Liam had gone too.