Chapter 8

Tell me there's a river I can swim that will bring you back to me

'Cause I don't know how to love someone else

I don't know how to forget your face

Oh, love

God, I miss you every single day and now you're so far away

-So Far Away by Martin Garrix and David Guetta

*****

LIAM

I rolled myself from underneath the truck. The customer expected the car back that evening and with all the shit going on, I couldn't focus on fixing it. A week had gone by from my last actual talk with Delilah. Despite seeing her every day, I limited my interactions with her. I didn't want to argue and more than anything, I didn't want to admit that she, to some extent, was right. 

I cleaned up my greased up hands and saw Christopher, my brother (or closest thing), walking out of the shop. He threw me a water bottle before taking a seat on the ground across from me.

"Still no luck?" Chris asked, nodding towards the old Chevrolet pick up.

"It's being a bitch," I mumbled. 

I hadn't told anyone about Delilah's return, especially since apparently her parents were still unaware that she was in town. I felt like my brain was going to fucking explode every time I saw her since her words kept replaying in my head. 

"You gonna tell what's been going on, man?"

I raised an eyebrow. I could either tell him or bullshit my way through the day. 

"Delilah's back."

"Delilah?" He questioned, taking a drink of water. "Wait... Delilah? Adrian's mom?"

"Yep," I muttered. 

"When did she come back? Why?"

"About two weeks ago. And she came back because she wants to get to know Adrian." 

I let Chris recover from his shock. He'd also known Delilah in high school, since we were kids. They were never close but he was present during our tumultuous relationship. He was also one of the few that stuck around during her pregnancy. 

A lot of our friends, more so hers, had turned their backs on us when we found out she was pregnant. I had already graduated from high school and it was her senior year, which was meant to be the year she enjoyed the most. Except she didn't. And in turn, that affected us as a couple. Sometimes she'd come home saying how lonely she felt and despite me being there for her, it was never enough. 

"So, are you okay with her being back?"

"Yeah, I guess." I said. Chris expected more of an answer and I sighed. "It's fucking weird. It pisses me off that she just left and came back like she's the one that gets to dictate what the fuck happens in our lives. Adrian is ecstatic, though."

"Of course he is," Chris said, standing up. "Kid finally has his mom back." He paused, running his greasy hands through his hair. "How does she look?" 

"Are you fucking serious?" I scoffed. 

"Man, she was the hottest girl in school," he shrugged. 

"She looks good."

"Bet she does," he said with a smirk.

"Fuck you," I spat.

"How's Carissa taking it?"