Chapter 3

I want you to know it's a little fucked up,

That I'm stuck here waitin', no longer debatin',Tired of sittin' and hatin' and makin' these excuses,For while you're not around, and feeling so useless.

-Where'd You Go by Fort Minor

*****

LIAM

Pulling up to the house, I knew something was wrong. Something was different. Dread filled me as I lowered my son, holding his hand as we walked up the driveway.

"Mama, mama, mama..." He chanted the single word but just the mention of her brought an eerie feeling. The thing I had feared from the beginning I was sure had just arrived. Despite her immaturity, she always attended Adrian's doctors' appointments. Today she had insisted on staying home.

"Fuck, fuck... Let her be there," I thought to myself.

After fumbling for a minute with the house keys, I opened the door without letting go of Adrian's hand.

"Lilah, baby, we're home!"

No answer.

I exhaled, running my hands over my tired face.

She couldn't have possibly done what I was thinking. I knew she wasn't happy even with all my attempts to do as much as I could for her. I'd been working my ass off since high school at my dad's shop trying to provide for her and Adrian but it was never enough. Delilah never seemed content. I knew it had been hard for her to accept becoming a mother this young, but she had to have some sort of feeling towards the child she birthed.

I spent ten minutes in the living room, pacing back and forth. Adrian kept asking for Delilah and part of me hoped that she was simply asleep in our bedroom.

She couldn't be that selfish, could she?

Placing a kiss on his forehead, I picked up my two year old son and walked to my bedroom. I had to confront reality at some point, right?

The empty bedroom was the only thing I found. I lowered Adrian once again, letting him walk around what had up to this point be our bedroom up until now. Everything was empty and I could see the drawers open as well as the closet door from which she'd removed items of her clothing.

I couldn't wrap it around my head. If she didn't want to be with me then fine, I wasn't going to force her to stay with me. But abandoning her child? How the fuck could someone do something like that?

A piece of paper on the nightstand caught my eye though I didn't need to read what it said to know what it was. As if sensing my want to read it, Adriana stumbled over and picked it up, handing it to me. I gave my son a small smile. He didn't realize that it was his mother's goodbye note.