Chapter 25

LIAM

It doesn't take much to know whether or not a guy is interested in a woman. Sure, most of us eye a woman every once in a while - it's only human to do so - but when someone is interested, they go out of their way to show it. The subtle flirting along with a couple sweet words tend to be evidence enough that a man is warming up to someone. Buying a gift for that someone's child is basically yelling it to the whole world. 

Carissa was a beautiful woman, there was no denying it. But despite having seen how other men looked at her I don't think I was ever actually jealous. And that word, it didn't even begin to describe how fucking enraged I was when I noticed the way Jameson looked at her. It wasn't the type of look that men gave women when they desired her, it was the type of look that we give when we're awestruck by someone.

And he was awestruck by Delilah.

While I looked at her sleep in my bed with her crazy hair and her lips slightly parted, I could see exactly why. She was beautiful. She was a pain in the ass sometimes with her witty attitude and her impulsiveness, but she was destined to be my pain in the ass. The thought of someone else thinking of her in ways that only I was supposed to irked me to not end. 

Delilah wanted to go back to her apartment which was even more frustrating for several reasons. Number one being that she'd be alone while that Caleb bastard was lurking and the second, back to Jameson. He'd be free to visit her whenever he pleased and I knew he wouldn't hesitate to do so. 

Sure, the man didn't have a clue that we were back together; we'd told him that we were separated which, to some extent, was true. The worst part of it all was that he'd be around until Caleb was caught. 

I sighed, closing the laptop that I had in front of me. It was stupid to think I'd be able to focus on anything, even something as simple as replying to emails. I hadn't been able to sleep all night despite having her close to me, safe and sound. As much as I wanted to have her sleeping in my bed every night, Delilah was right. It was best if we took things slow. For the first time she was actually thinking things through and not making any rushed decisions. Being apart would be better at least until we were sure that things were going to work between us. Not only that, but that way we would avoid hurting Adrian with unwanted arguments.

Delilah stirred, a sleepy sigh leaving her lips while I laid back down next to her. It was only four, the sun hadn't even come out yet and I was awake as could be. She, on the other hand, was exhausted. The past days had taken a toll on her; I could see it in the faint dark circles around her eyes and the way she looked sleepy. Even then, after I saw the way Jameson had been talking to her, I had to have her. I had to prove to her that she was mine, I needed her to feel it too.

It was different now when we made love or fucked. While before we had a very good, very active sexual life, there had always been some type of apprehension in her, especially after we had Adrian. Now though, I could see in the way she looked at me, the way she behave that she was giving every bit of herself to me every time we were together. 

She'd changed.

We had both changed.

I placed a kiss on her bare shoulder and ran my fingers down her arm, watching how even in her sleep little goosebumps showed up. 

Once again she stirred, this time turning around and placing her head on my chest with her hand next to it and her legs intertwining with mine.

"Go to sleep," came sleepy mumble.

"Don't worry about me," I replied. 

She sighed. Thinking that she'd already back asleep, I ran my fingers down her back until she began talking again. "I've always worried about you, even when I was gone." Delilah cleared her throat, now her fingers also tracing patterns over my chest. "Sometimes I wanted to call you and see how you were doing, see that you were okay but I was always too much of a coward. I never had the courage to do it."