Chapter 40

DELILAH

DELILAH

I stared at the pregnancy test in front of me.

Positive.

I knew it already, but seeing it in front of me, confirming it was something else. I was elated. And yet, I was still hurting. The situation with Liam was less than ideal, and if anything, we needed to clear up things between us before making any decisions.

I hid the test in my drawer before going to the kitchen and poured myself a glass of orange juice. The silence in the house did nothing to quiet down my thoughts. There was endless questions, things I was unsure I wanted to know though I knew I would have to confront soon if I wanted anything to work out.

Things between Liam and I were so strained, like they'd never been before. Perhaps after the night we had we could finally move forward, he could possibly come to terms with the reality of his family and where he stood with them. I had to help him understand that the blame wasn't on him, not if after all his attempts they were the ones that didn't want to cooperate.

We still needed to address the fact that he resented me for leaving. The words he had spoken hurt me, as much as I pretended they didn't. I thought we were past all that but maybe we would never be.

I wasn't sure if I could be with someone who kept bringing up my mistakes every time he was angry or pained. It wouldn't be fair for me or for him.

Living in the past wasn't living, at all.

The door opened and Liam walked in, his hair falling over his forehead. He gave me a small smile, setting his keys on the counter before pulling out a chair and sitting.

"Have you eaten?" He asked.

I shook my head. "Just the orange juice for now."

Liam nodded, his eyes studying my face as if I was a subject he couldn't quite master.

"We need to talk," I said, keeping my voice even. Now wasn't the time to show weakness. I had to be strong.

"We do. Let me-"

I raised my hand, stopping him.

"I'll go first." Liam sighed, but accepted nonetheless. I finished the orange juice first while Liam patiently waited for me to begin, though I had no clue where to start.

"Caleb is still around," I said after realizing that was probably a good place to start. I saw Liam tense as soon as the words were out of my mouth. His jaw clenched and his hands balled in fists on top of the table.

"Brian found the phone at a motel, it had pictures of all of us..."

"Sick fucker," Liam muttered. "Where the hell is he?"

"No clue," I breathed. I felt the same worry as he did, now times three, for the child I carried. "He left without a trace but Brian doesn't think he's planning on leaving South Carolina."