Chapter 2

If I told you what I was,

Would you turn your back on me?And if I seem dangerous,Would you be scared?  

-Monster by Imagine Dragons

*****

DELILAH

He was unreadable. Liam stood there just... staring. As if he'd seen a ghost. I was staring for complete different reasons. He was always handsome but now handsome just wouldn't cut it. He was a man. A grown ass man and yes, I had a boyfriend but I wasn't blind. He wore a plain white t-shirt and faded jeans and just with that, I was speechless.

His face had hardened but I could still see the hint of the perfect dimples that I loved to tease on his cheeks. He was muscular... way muscular than he was before. The boyish face was gone, now replaced by a chiseled jaw with just the right amount of stubble.

How much time passed with us speechless?

I wouldn't be able to say.

I just knew that neither of us were prepared for this encounter, not even me.

Liam cleared his throat after a few minutes and closed the door behind him, stepping out to the porch. "I asked you a question, Delilah. What the fuck are you doing here?"

God, his voice was so deep and masculine and –

"If you're not going to answer then-"

I shook my head, trying not to get distracted anymore. "I told you already. I'm back."

"Back as in you're traveling through town on a vacation and will be leaving soon or..."

"No. Back as in I'm looking for an apartment or a house to live in. I'm staying."

Liam shook his handsome head in clear frustration at my words. He gave a harsh glare before beginning to pace on the porch until he asked a single question. "Why?"

Why.

Why was I back?

My answer wouldn't matter, not to Liam. Not after I left him. So what was the point of even answering it? Although, at this point, I had to answer all questions he had in order for him to let me see Adrian.

"I want to know him."

Liam narrowed his eyes at me, fury boiling behind them. He looked like he was just barely holding it together and while I knew that the younger version of him knew how to control his anger, the man before me didn't look like he did. Trying to calm him down, I continued speaking.

"I know it's been a long time, Liam but I think it's time that I meet him and I get to know him. You can't take that right away from me."

Liam let out a humorless laugh. "Take that right from you? Are you fucking kidding me? You gave up that right the minute you walked out. And now, years later you decide that because you want to come back I have to let you see the son that once again, you gave up. The son that I've raised on my own. Are you even thinking about how this will affect him? Or are you still the same selfish bitch that left?"

Yeah.

Definitely not the same man I left behind. I was too shocked at his language and the bombarding of questions and statements to even say anything. His words stung, probably because no one had ever been so blunt with me about my past. Probably because the words came from him and there was no denying the truth behind them.