Chapter 35

DELILAH

DELILAH

"No, man. Yeah, just be sure to let him know that there's warranty on the service." Liam glanced over at me as he spoke with Chris. "She's okay, just can't really keep anything down... Yeah, I'll let you know... Jo will drop him off?... Alright, thanks man."

The whole morning he'd been trying to get me to eat but my appetite was lacking. I was running a low grade fever and my whole body ached, the perfect reason for Liam to stay home. 

Soft lips kissed my forehead and strong arms held me close to his beating heart. 

"How are you feeling?" he asked me. 

"Like I wanna puke," I mumbled, shifting on the bed. 

The only thing Liam hated more than getting sick, was watching his loved ones be sick. He barely slept, watching over me like I had done with him a few days ago. I laid down on my stomach, and felt him running his fingers through my long hair, the small gesture making my eyes close. It didn't take long before I was sound asleep, cradled in the arms of the man that knew me the best. 

*****

The next two days were the same: I slept and wretched, barely ate and basically was a zombie. I was exhausted and much too sick to do anything. Liam and Adrian took on the job of watching over me while I recuperated, proving to be the sweetest men ever.

By the third day, though I felt much better I still didn't go back to work out of fear of throwing up on a client's hair. Somehow, I didn't think that would go over well.

There was a part of me that knew I needed to take a test... a pregnancy test. I'd been consistent with my birth control, except when we left for Biltmore Estate where I missed a single pill.

So in a deja-vu moment, I paced the restroom as I waited the eternal five minutes for the result to load.

Except this time, I didn't feel scared. Of course I was nervous, I'm only human and that's a normal reaction. But I didn't dread the idea of being pregnant, nor did I feel like I would have a breakdown if I wasn't.

Still two minutes left.

My life had changed, I had changed for the better. I would be just fine, I knew that. We would all be just fine no matter the result.

I took one last look at the time and braving up, finally glanced at the test. I held my breath as I took a step towards the test resting on the sink. For a moment I could only hear the loud beating of my heart in my ears.

THUMP.

THUMP.

THUMP.

And then, I breathed.

*****

"How's mom doing?" I asked my dad while we sat on the sofa. The TV was on as background noise but we weren't paying attention to anything except our father-daughter time.