Chapter 47

When I wake up, will you see me?

When I wake up, will you come see me?

Is it too late, too late now?

-Worry by Rhodes

DELILAH

I stared numbly out the window. It felt as if a ton of bricks had fallen on top of me, taking away my breath, suffocating me. Erasing any bit of hope, any bit of joy that I had. Some lessons are much too... painful. 

My hand rested over my belly.

I knew something was wrong when the nausea had decreased, something had told me so. But I put the blame on being close to the end of the first trimester... I thought it was normal. I swallowed, pushing away the sob that wanted to escape. I wouldn't cry... If I did it would never end. Liam's hand rested on my thigh while he drove to the ER, swerving in and out of every lane, rushing through the almost nonexistent traffic.

It was pointless for him to drive like that, for him to be in a hurry. It was too late. It's not like there's anything that can stop a miscarriage. I breathed in sharply, trying to get some oxygen into my lungs when another cramp made me nearly double over. It was much like contractions, constantly throbbing in my lower back.

Liam squeezed my thigh, showing me his support. I didn't feel it though. I couldn't feel anything other than the compression in my heart. Like someone was holding my heart in their hands and squeezing all the life out of it.

That is exactly what it felt like.

The life being squeezed out of me.

The thought made me whimper. 

In many ways that was what was happening.

Liam pulled up the hospital, back to the ER entrance and without turning off the car he helped me out. 

"I can walk," I said when he attempted to carry me.

I couldn't bear the grief in his eyes so I didn't look at him. Instead I just held on to his arm for support when another cramp went straight down my body, making my legs tremble.

"Fuck this," Liam muttered, and before I knew it, I was in his arms being rushed inside. I heard Liam talking to someone but didn't bother looking up. I didn't want pity, I didn't want any bullshit 'I'm sorry for your loss,' I wanted my babies to live.

Liam sat down still cradling me in his arms, running his hand up and down my arm. I knew he was in pain too I just couldn't think about it. If I did, the little strength I had left would disappear. The thought of him grieving over our children because of me, it was far too painful.

I heard the familiar voice of Doctor Murphy, greeting the both of us but not once did I turn to look at her. I couldn't. Seeing the hospital room and the doctor would make it all real.