Chapter 31

DELILAH

DELILAH

Green eyes looked at me from across the salon, expectant... waiting. Weeks had gone by and Brian hadn't tried to contact me, except now, here he was. 

"You want me to talk to him?" Jo whispered.

I shook my head. "I'll go talk to him when I'm done." Jo nodded and walked away while I finished with the client. It had been difficult to get her hair this platinum blonde she wanted, but now that we were finally there I wasn't going to mess it up. 

I finished and cleaned up my work area before excusing myself and letting Jo know that I'd be going on break. She wished me luck and at last, I was face to face with Detective Jameson. He smiled at me like everything was okay and strangely enough, it did calm my nerves. 

"Hard at work, I see," he said.

"Always. What brings you around?"

Brian shifted on his feet before placing a hand on my shoulder. We walked out of the salon on to a nearby bench, all in silence. "Has the new detective contacted you?" I shook my head. "Bastard," he muttered.

"Did something happen?" 

"Eh, not really. I told him to contact you but he's a lazy ass, probably the laziest on the force. Listen, I'll stay on the case if you don't mind."

"I thought you didn't want to," I replied, tilting my head.

"I've had time to think and put everything into perspective. I can handle being around you, besides there's no leads. Looks like the guy fell off the face of the Earth. Like I said though, it's up to you."

All things considered, I trusted Brian. He was the type of person who just gave off a good feeling; the type of person that you just felt comfortable around. 

"I'll talk to Liam about it," I replied. Brian nodded, pressing his lips together. "Do you... still feel the same way?" I asked him, and he turned to me with a small smile.

"Sort of," he said honestly. "Sometimes you'll just pop in my head with that smile of yours, but like I said, I've put things into perspective. Since there's a kid involved I don't really trust detective lazy ass to do what needs to be done."

"Thanks," I said, placing my hand over his and giving it a gentle squeeze. "I think he would get along well with Caleb then."

Brian let out a hearty chuckle, shaking his head. "Yes, probably."

I wanted to ask him about the time Jo told me he'd shown up but avoided that question. Had it been important I was sure he would have brought it up. We spoke for a few more minutes before he left. 

I believed him when he said that he was going to not pursue anything with me. Maybe it was naive or stupid, but sincerity shone through his words. There was something about the way he carried himself that really did make me believe that there wasn't any hidden intentions, something that wasn't present with Carissa.