Chapter 64

All I wanted to say, all I wanted to do is fall apart now

All I wanted to feel, I wanted to love

-Mercy by OneRepublic

DELILAH

The unmistakable sound of the cocking of a gun invaded my ears. I tried to move, tried anything to scream but the scream was lodged in my throat, not quite taking flight no matter how desperately I tried to let it out. And then in a blink of an eye, Carissa fell in front of me, lifeless and with a swoosh of air leaving her lips for the last time.

Then Brian looked at me, saying what he always thought: 'We're the same, Delilah,' before shooting himself. I'd be too shocked to say anything, too frozen to do anything. Like always, in the dream he'd take hold of my hand and try to take me down with him. I'd pull away from him and turn around only to find Liam's hand clutching his chest.

And when Liam fell to the ground in front of me as well, blood leaving his body much quicker than I could ever stop it, the verdict was clear in my mind: Guilty. 

If I hadn't returned Adrian would have never disappeared, in turn we would have never met Brian and none of it would have happened. They would have lived happily without me around to cause trouble. 

My eyes flew open and I gasped for air, grabbing hold of the sheets as if they were enough to protect me from the horror. As the air filled my lungs, my chest constricted just like every night and I searched for something, anything to ground me.

That something turned out to be Liam's hand that found mine, squeezing it gently. He placed it over his chest, over his heart and somehow, that small action managed to calm down my own. 

He never questioned what my nightmares were about, not after the first time he tried to talk to me about it and I shut him out. I could tell how much it pained him to see me like this, like a lost girl who couldn't find her place in the world. 

For the first time in months, I felt a lump form in my throat, the unmistakable feeling of a dam about to burst and I fought it, trying to think of anything to prevent it from overtaking my body, but it was too late. My free hand went up to my mouth to quiet down the loud sob that left my lips and my body began to tremble with the force of emotion. 

As if expecting that this would eventually happen, Liam lied on his side, observing my break down while not letting go of my hand. I didn't bother turning to look at him, I could sense how much he was fighting the urge to hold me. Somehow, though, he knew that I had to cry it out before he even touched me.

"If I hadn't come back you wouldn't have almost died," I sobbed. 

I heard Liam sigh and his grip on my hand grew tighter. My heart tore to pieces the more I thought about what had happened, how close we'd been to losing everything. Tentatively, Liam got closer to me, a shaky sigh leaving my lips when I felt his fingers brushing over my skin.